What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly and Train to Downtown Chicago

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'd like to fly the RV into a Chicago and hop a train downtown. I know Midway works, but was hoping for something smaller.

Any suggestions?

Hi Pete

We have been to just about every local Chicago airport including MDW. It works if you are comfortable with an intense ATC environment. We have been into Pal Waukee and that is a nice airport and not near as hectic. I don't know about train connections. Also we have been into Lewis University and that is also relatively close to downtown.

Doug

Gary/Chicago

Pete
Depending on your direction of arrival try KGYY Gary/Chicago International which is located on the south end of Lake Michigan. There you can hop on the train and travel directly to downtown. Good Luck.
AL

Not particularly convenient from the West-Northwest, but, you might try Gary (GYY). Train's not too far from the airport.

There are other neet places to visit.

May be this thread without a clear answer should be forwarded to Mayor Daley. I have boycotted Chicago since his destruction of Meigs field. It was convenient a fun to approach.:(

i am based at GYY and the train is 5 min from the field - the FBO will give you a lift. From DPA you can get a cab to the train but looking for same time downtown and the cab is usually $15. I tried to get a train downtown from PWK but it was a non-starter. nothing close and the FBO suggested limo/cab. I love GYY as an airport - Quiet yet a tower that is very pro-GA. Good luck!!

You might try Schaumburg Airport 06C

http://www.airnav.com/airport/06C

or Dupage County Airport KDPA http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDPA

Both airports are close to Metra stataions and you can probably get a ride from the FBO or taxi. Here's Metra links for both lines

Schaumburg http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_w/md_w.shtml

DuPage County (West Chicago) http://metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_w/cnw_w.shtml

Aurora Airport KARR is another posibility but is about 10 miles from the train station. It's the lowest traffic airport of the three. I live and work close to KARR and KDPA and base my -8 out of Dekalb Airport KDKB which is a good airport but fuel prices are kind of high and it's 15 miles to the train station.

Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

John

Thanks John

I just heard from another source that 06C might be the ticket, confrirming what you said.

Gary would be nice, but it is a few miles further around the Class B.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've heard that they rent Pious's, er, Prius's there. You could just take one right into town. :p Sorry, a bit of an inside joke...;)

KGYY

I got a nice message back from the folks at Gary Jet Center:

We'd love to have you come to Gary. Yes, there is a train that stops at the end of the airport and one of our employees would be happy to take you and pick you up from the train stop. Check out their schedule at www.nictd.com. I think the fare is only around $5 and the trip is less than an hour...an excellent way to get to the city. The last stop is at the corner of Michigan Ave and Randolph St. Looking forward to your visit!

I think they have earned my business. We'll fly a bit farther and see the city on the way.

Fly and train

You can try C3K (Lake in the Hills) 25 miles NW of Chicago and just outside the veil.

Non towered nice long runway.

Metra train station 5 minutes away in Cyrstal Lake goes to Union Station in Chicago.

www.nictd.com. I think the fare is only around $5 and the trip is less than an hour...an excellent way to get to the city. The last stop is at the corner of Michigan Ave and Randolph St. Looking forward to your visit!

I've ridden that South Shore route before (I believe). My grandmother lives in Munster (she used to be in Calumet City) and I'd take the train to downtown. Its an "interesting" ride through the cities. The final stop is under the Prudential building, and in a pretty convenient downtown location. I'd definitely recommend staying away from the commuter hours as the train can be packed during rush hour. Unless its changed, be prepared for Gary... its not the most pretty nor friendly city in the world. Watch out after dark.

Boycott chicago, come to St Louis. I'll pick you up myself and drive you where ever you want.

Seriously

Grant

Yes, still bitter.

Chicago

Sorry Pete.....
I just have to do this.
I agree with ZZAP and Grant.
Boycott Chicago.
Still bitter 2,
Jim

Back