What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Gear

godspeed

Well Known Member
Quick question, does a A model stand up on the trigear without the engine
mounted ? or is it tail heavy. ? I am ready to mount the gear but I don't have
the engine put back together yet.. just wondering if I can roll it around
(get it out of the garage so i can reorganize) without the weight up front

Danny..

No. The tail end will drop to the floor, even without the empennage on. I had to have a padded sawhorse handy to prop it up. But it does make it easier to move around, inspite of having to prop it up. It will motivate you into getting an engine mounted sooner.

Roberta

thanks

Thanks, I was afraid of that.. oh well time to get the wheels on anyway..
I suppose my neibors won't get the full effect of that crazy guy building an airplane in his garage, just pushed it out in the driveway :) maybe when I get the engine on it..

Danny..

My 9A had no problem rolling around on it's gear without an engine. I know the 7 and 9 have different main wheel location, maybe that has something to do with it. But Danny, you will need to make something to hold the tail off the ground when you crawl around in the tail, so you might as well make it now.

Cam

crawling in the tail

I have nothing left to do back there.. wired , conduit, tail is installed, emp fairing complete (except for more sanding) tipup-slider DONE!, thankgoodness,
next steps are the gear,brake lines,engine or cowling hinges on firewall
all prewired behind the pannel, battery box is installed, need to install the
cabin heat door and cable.. oh has anyone done the cowling without the
motor installed ? I have to pick up the rods,crank,gears sometime next week
from eci (they did all the machine work) need to find a good deal on gaskets,bearings & seals , rings.. should order the engine mounts soon, whats the best place to get all those items ? so I can build the motor.. still need 0320 carb don't know the part number one slick mag , if the guy from houston ever emails me back on here..

Danny..
rv9a 90719
N299RV reserved

Cowling without engine

godspeed said:
oh has anyone done the cowling without the motor installed ?
From what I have read, this would be a very bad idea. I've only done some "pre-fitting" of my cowl, and the whole install is based on the location of the spinner. Without the engine, it would be very hard to know where the spinner would be.

thanks~ I figured as much.. guess i better get the motor going and gather some parts..

Danny..

Back