What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable GPS with Weather

638RS

Well Known Member
I am in the market for a GPS with weather. After a bad experience with a non aviation Garmin unit I would prefer another manufacture. I've been waiting on Avmap and Lowrance but after talking to their tech support people I believe they are still months away from releasing something.

I've done a search but didn't find anything meaningful... could be my search terms..

Would appreciate input on other portable units with weather.

You can try the Anywhere Map system...I used it back before my RV days, albeit before they had weather. I didn't' care for all the cabling, but now it is basically blue tooth, so you only have power cords.

I love my Garmin BTW....designed to do what I want it to do. The company can occasionally appear a little monolithic and arrogant, but with a little patience, I have had good results with their customer service (sometimes, it takes a few tries).

Paul

I have an Anywhere Map with weather and as Paul mentioned, it is Bluetooth for the GPS as well as the XM Weather receiver, so you just have a power cable to the PDA. You can, however, remove it from the cradle it sits in with ease and then hold it in your hand while it is powered by its own battery for better viewing. When you reinsert the PDA into the cradle, ship's power is automatically re-connected.

The main knock that I have with the Anywheremap/PDA is that I find it hard to see. Compared to my Lowrance 2000c, its literally like night and day. On the other hand, since I can remove it from its mount, I can get it close enough and at a proper angle so I can read it.

First, I have no idea how far away AvMap really is on weather, but I have talked with them recently (actually several times) and I suspect they are close. I was told to call back early next week. I hope to test one of the early units. We'll see... I have had an AvMap IV for quite some time.

Bob Kelly

Give Garmin another try, you'll be glad you did. I never fly without my 396, and I use it in my car all the time for turn by turn guidance, and to keep an eye on my speed. It is easier and faster to glance at the GPS instead of the speedo.

I am really happy with my new Flight Chetah 210. The display is so bright that I can see it easily in bright sun. It has weather and approach overlay and synthetic 3-D vision is supposed to be ready to download next week. I will let you know how helpful it is. I had difficulty seeing my anywhere map display. But, both the 210 and anywhere map upgrade the software without having to buy new displays.

Back