What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The age old canopy question

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
Canopy question regarding trimming the aft upper skin

Well I am working on my -6A VSB (very slow build!) and have just started to work on the slider. My question is to what size do you trim the aft upper skin with respect to the added stiffners? One drawing looks like a 1/2 inch at the top and a couple inches on the sides. Another looks like about 5 inches on the bottom going to about 2 on top. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Awwww come on guys don't make me beg! Vans SC-1 through SC-4 don't spell out the dimensions. Any help out there?

Last edited:
There is a note in the Justice Instructions on this. Basically, with the canopy frame in place against the windshield frame and resting on the aft skin, draw a line that follows the back edge of the canopy frame on the skin. Measure back about 2.25 inches and draw another line on the skin. That is your cut line. The Justice Instructions call for doing that cut 2.5 inches back, but I figured it would be much easier to go back and trim a little more if needed. The support angles under the skin really just go in wherever they fit the best. Exact placement isn't critical. I've got my aft skin riveted and the canopy tracks mounted. The slider portion clears the skin quite nicely without further trimming. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help

Thanks Rod I also got an email from Kevin Clodfelter with a couple of pictures. It is pretty much like I thought it would have to be cut but I sure didn't want to wait for a new top skin if I was wrong! Thanks to both of you... I can happily keep working now!

Back