What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Spinner for non RV aircraft?

I have been told that a 13 inch Vans spinner will fit my Murphy Rebel/Elite 360 metal Sensenich 76EM series prop. It has a prop hub thickness of 3.56 inches. However, I know the standard RV Senenich metal prop for the 360 is the 72FM series which has a prop hub thickness of 3.437. That is a difference of about 1/8 inch.

If I order the standard FP 13 SEN spinner kit, I assume then that the front spinner plate would not work, as my prop hub is too thick. If it was smaller, I could add a spacer, but that is not the case.

But I also noticed on the Vans website that they list another Sensenich front plate that they say is for "other aircraft". It is part number S-605 SEN. What it doesn't say, thouigh, is what prop hub thickness it allows.

I have been talking to a guy at Vans on email about this, but have not been able to get him to understand what I am asking.

Does anyone here know exactly what spinner kit I need for the 76EM series prop? Or what is that other S-605 SEN plate for? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Walter

I know it's not the cheapest option.. but have you considered the whole spinner kit from Sensenich.... should be about $400-450 for everything.. and it's all done ready to bolt on...

If I order the standard FP 13 SEN spinner kit, I assume then that the front spinner plate would not work, as my prop hub is too thick. If it was smaller, I could add a spacer, but that is not the case.

Walter
On my spinner I had to put a few layers of fiberglass on the inside of the spinner to take up the gap for the front plate, so it may work just right in your case. If not you could always build up the spinner near the rear plate to push the spinner forward just a bit. May be worth a try.

Cam

I know it's not the cheapest option.. but have you considered the whole spinner kit from Sensenich.... should be about $400-450 for everything.. and it's all done ready to bolt on...

Yes, that is a back-up option. But I was told that Vans works and seems like a nice option. I just need to know exactly what to order.

Walter
On my spinner I had to put a few layers of fiberglass on the inside of the spinner to take up the gap for the front plate, so it may work just right in your case. If not you could always build up the spinner near the rear plate to push the spinner forward just a bit. May be worth a try.

Cam

Well, I shouldn't have to build anything up on the inside in my case, as the 76EM hub is 1/8 thicker. And I thought of building up the back edge as you mentioned, but that may be a bit of work, and then I would have the challenge of getting the tip centered so there is no wobble.

Walter

Well, I shouldn't have to build anything up on the inside in my case, as the 76EM hub is 1/8 thicker. And I thought of building up the back edge as you mentioned, but that may be a bit of work, and then I would have the challenge of getting the tip centered so there is no wobble.

Walter

It should be the same amount of work if you build up the rear a little or not. The spinner is actually very easy to install. Getting the cut out for the prop is the most work and that's not really too bad. There is a template that I believe Van's gives you when you purchase the spinner. It should get you close on the cut out. Have you talked to Ed Zercher over at Sensenich yet? He is really nice to deal with and knows his product well.

It should be the same amount of work if you build up the rear a little or not. The spinner is actually very easy to install. Getting the cut out for the prop is the most work and that's not really too bad. There is a template that I believe Van's gives you when you purchase the spinner. It should get you close on the cut out. Have you talked to Ed Zercher over at Sensenich yet? He is really nice to deal with and knows his product well.

I spoke through email with Ed when I was choosing my Sensenich prop. I agree that he is very knowledgable and helpful. I am a little disappointed that I couldn't get the same quality of help from Vans. Which is why I am on this forum asking these questions...

Walter

I spoke through email with Ed when I was choosing my Sensenich prop. I agree that he is very knowledgable and helpful. I am a little disappointed that I couldn't get the same quality of help from Vans. Which is why I am on this forum asking these questions...

Walter

Dealing with Van's can be a bit tricky...... wait a minute, you built a Murphy product and you find Van's service lacking? Oh well.

Most of Van's sub kits, like the spinner kit, are well thought out. The fiberglass may have some pin holes and the directions may... well. You may not even get directions. But in the end Van's stuff works. Buy the spinner kit and jump in. I'm sure it will work for you. You see Van's spinners and wheel pants on all kinds of airplanes.

Once you get in the air and if you find yourself in SoCal, I've always liked that plane and would love to check it out.

Cam

Dealing with Van's can be a bit tricky...... wait a minute, you built a Murphy product and you find Van's service lacking? Oh well.

Most of Van's sub kits, like the spinner kit, are well thought out. The fiberglass may have some pin holes and the directions may... well. You may not even get directions. But in the end Van's stuff works. Buy the spinner kit and jump in. I'm sure it will work for you. You see Van's spinners and wheel pants on all kinds of airplanes.

Once you get in the air and if you find yourself in SoCal, I've always liked that plane and would love to check it out.

Cam

I do get down to SoCal once in a while on busness, but so far not in my own plane. Air Canada and UA are still a faster and cheaper way to go. Been flying my Rebel on amphibs for about 7 years now, and love it. Did a long XC last year from Vancouver across the northern states to Ontario, and back through Canada. It was a great trip, except wasn't happy with the fuel bill when it was over.

So for my next plane, am actually looking at the RV12. Should be a lot more fuel efficient for long trips... So will find out more how good the fabled Vans service is. But was never unhappy with Murhpy, although you have to chase them once in a while to follow up on stuff.

I do love my Rebel though. It is a keeper for sure. I am currently upgrading my engine from a 320 to a new Superior 360 with ECI cyls and EI. That's why I am looking for a new spinner. Last time I built my own from a metal kit, but am too lazy to go through that again.

Here is a taste of my kind of flying here in BC with my Rebel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2xgYyXJtM0

Walter

Walter

Looks like a blast. I've always wanted to fly a plane on floats. There was a bit of that when I lived in Michigan. Not sure of much in SoCal.

Instead of waiting for the RV12, take your old 320 and stick it on the front of an RV9. If you can control yourself with the throttle, the RV9 can be a very fuel efficient plane.

Cam

Walter

Looks like a blast. I've always wanted to fly a plane on floats. There was a bit of that when I lived in Michigan. Not sure of much in SoCal.

Instead of waiting for the RV12, take your old 320 and stick it on the front of an RV9. If you can control yourself with the throttle, the RV9 can be a very fuel efficient plane.

Cam

I already sold my 320 and have two other planes, and hangars at my airport, and don't want to get a 3rd hangar. The RV 12 with the removable wings should fit in perfectly under the wing of my amphib Rebel.

Besides, I like the 912. I have it in my other plane (another small 2 place amphib floatplane). Here is another clip of that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec2ml1j4hBg

The 912 is a very smooth, quiet engine, and is a way less maintenance than my Lycoming. Should last a lot longer, too. There have been many that have run over 3000 hours with just oil changes and plugs.

Walter

Back