What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY electrical books

szicree

Well Known Member
Anybody know of a good book on wiring? I've read the Aero-electric book and found it terrific, but now I need something with a bit more hands-on detail about soldering, molex connections, harness making etc. A book with a few pics would be great. I have that big ol' Acceptable Techniques, Practices... book, but would like to find something a bit more focused.

Steve Zicree
RV4 looking very much like an airplane these days :) :D :eek:

plz don't kick me but here's the website I'm using to sort out a low voltage problem on my C-140. Good stuff here. :cool:

http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/3_pole_regulators.htm

2421v4ut.jpg

48cessna140panel8db.jpg

I guess I'm looking for something that will tell me how to properly bundle wires, where and how to put strain reliefs on harnesses, where and how to anchor wires behind the panel. Any books available like that?

Steve Zicree

Try AC43.13

Steve - I have carried my copies of AC43.13 around since I was a kid, and there is a lot of that kind of information to be found among all of the stuff that you'll never use. Also, I don't have my copy handy to check, but Tony Bingellis's books are good for generic stuff like that.

Paul Dye

Electrical best practices

szicree said:
I guess I'm looking for something that will tell me how to properly bundle wires, where and how to put strain reliefs on harnesses, where and how to anchor wires behind the panel. Any books available like that?
I think this is one of those things that people like Bob, who have been doing it since
they were in diapers, just kind of take for granted that we all know how to do this.
I really hope he adds a section in his excellent book on this topic. I've just
been looking at as many airplanes as I can, talking to a lot of people,
and getting advice from web where I can find it.

szicree said:

Steve Zicree
Steve,
I was an Electrician's Mate in the navy some 30 plus years ago and my recollection is that the Basic Electricity training manuals for that rating had exactly what you are looking for. You'll have to translate from serving cord (makes really nice looking wiring bundles) to tie wraps but that shouldn't be an issue.
The real problem may be in locating those manuals.
I am going to dig through the box of stuff from my navy days if I can just remember what life I was in when I stored it...:confused:

-Mike

Eaa

On the EAA site, go to MEMBERS, HOMEBUILDERS, BULDING, ARTICLES, ELECTRICAL and view/print the needed Tony Bingelis info. AC43-13 has the info, too.
Steve

Electrical Systems

The following has a lot of "how-to" information, once you wade through the boilerplate. It takes more of a 'do it this way' rather than 'here's why you do it' approach.

For example, it tells you exactly how to label wires. You don't have to follow the advice, but it's good to see the thinking behind it.

http://rrp.casa.gov.au/drafts/DRAFTac021-99(0)_Apr05.pdf

In my opinion, it's better than the FAA publications.

Vern Little
RV-9A

tips & tricks

I don't know if you have spent much time at Nuckolls site but in his different sections he has quite a wealth of info in regards to this. His CD rom also apparantly has the Navy electronics courses included. It is a great site to browse and download stuff, although a little slow if you have dial-up.

Jim

Back