What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

hand squeezer necessary?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
If I've already got a pneu. squeezer, will a hand squeezer be necessary? Are there places on a -9 kit that can only be riveted with the hand squeezer or are they essentially interchangeable?

Thanks,
Steve

Evening Steve.

If you have a pnu. you don't necessarily need a hand squeezer. Having said that there are times when the hand squeezer is faster (you can adjust the 'height' of the action with a quick twisting motion as opposed to the pnu. method of stacking various washers). You don't need to get the air compressor ready, when it's midnight and you're out in the garage the hand squeezer makes less noise, etc...

Now, there are times when I used both during the same work session, say with dimpling dies in one and the rivet-squeezing dies in the other. Umm, bet you didn't see that one coming :) .

Short answer: Don't need it (but it's nice to have).

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly. I currently own a pneu, but so frequently borrow a friend's Avery hand squeezer I am going to have to get one of my own.

I prefer the hand squeeze when using the no hole yoke.

:) CJ

I have both a pneumatic and a hand squeezer and I think I squeezed maybe 3 rivets with the hand squeezer. If I were to do it again, I would not get the hand squeezer. I consider the pneumatic squeezer the best investment I made in tools. I have an adjustable set holder for my pneumatic squeezer so it adjusts just like the hand one.

Paul
RV-8

I had a couple of places where I squeezed 1/8th rivets with an Avery hand squeezer (takes some ooommph too) because my pneumatic's body was too bulky. To me a hand squeezer is an essential tool. Maybe I feel that way because I have two of them (different brands) and have used the crap out of them. To not have one seems to be cheating yourself. Any tool that reduces the frustration factor while building is worth it. Save yourself money somewhere else.

I never owned or used a hand squeezer on my 7A QB. I love my Avery Pneumatic Squeezer. The Pneumatic will fit anywhere the hand squeezer fits and maybe more places. Being able to hold the air squeezer in both hands gives you a steadier grip and better results, easier. I mounted mine in a vice, by the yoke, and was able to do mass dimpling of small parts like stiffeners and other parts and was able to work very quickly. JMHO.

Back