What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Pre-buy at S05 (Oregon)

Highroad

I'm New Here
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone knows of someone I could hire to come to Bandon Oregon (S05) to do a Pre-buy on an RV6. It was a flying airplane but was stripped of the engine, avionics, and landing gear to build an RV7. The airframe was sold and the new owner put a 0 time io360, new gear and avionics etc. on the airplane. The airplane is not airworthy and still needs some assembly but is up for sale again. I am intersted in the airplane but would like someone that knows RV's well to do a pre-buy. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent

There are a lot of "expert" RV folks closer to you than I, but if you can not find anyone, I would be willing to fly down, weather permiting, and give you my two cents worth. I can probably wrestle up a gaggle of other builders to come along as we are always looking for an excuse for a road trip.

Jon,
Thanks for the offer. We are looking into some local options but do you have any advice for things to look for other than corosion, damage etc. that would be RV specific? Thanks again and if something does not pan out local we may contact you. Also, Is there a builder assist program in Eugene OR that you know of that could offer some advice on a pre-buy. Thanks and I will do some more research.

Brent

Lot's of folks from Eugene and Independance cruise the posts, so you should be able to find some good help down there. Check out Chapter 105 as they list Tech Advisors on their site. Not sure who might be down there but there are a lot of experienced builders and most more than willing to help.
There is nothing specific to a 6 vs other models that I can think of. You just need to find someone who has built one, or better yet, an Advisor and/or AP/AI who has.
Check out Van's site for Service Bulletins. You will want to make sure that those have been completed.
Good luck.

Synergy Air (see advertisment on this site) is located in Eugene. If that doesn't work, let me know. There are a couple of other well qualified folks I could suggest to you.

Ed

I talked to synergy air today and they are too busy to come down for several weeks so any other help would be appreciated.

Brent

I sent you a private message earlier. Contact me for the contact information for someone who could probably help you out.

ed

Brent, if you can't find someone closer I might be able to sneak down there also, of course weather permitting. I'm out of VUO (right next to PDX).

Brent, if you can't find someone closer I might be able to sneak down there also, of course weather permitting. I'm out of VUO (right next to PDX).

You where one of the folks on my short list to run a "gaggle" down to help.
Brent - no shortage of folks willing to fly for any excuse, let alone to check out an RV! (now, weather permitting with our weather, geez. Went storm watching at Fort Stevens yesterday, pretty impressive. I drove!)

Thanks everyone for the offers. We have had some awsome storms come through in the last couple of days here on the coast that have prehibited flying. I have a few more details on the RV6 that I am looking at. It had 330 hrs on it when it was stripped of its motor/prop, instruments and landing gear so that the owner could use these in his RV7. The rest of the airplane was sold to the current owner who put new gear on it and hung a 0 time io360 on it. The current owner does not have any logs for the engine but says it was rebuilt by Dan Brown out of arizona who used to work for Barrett Aircraft engines. He says that the motor got good internals, the same that this Dan Brown puts into the current owners Pitts that he races in Reno. Anyway, the current owner has all of the aircrafts logs including the airworthy cert. and that the airplane just needs to be finished being put back together. Included in the sale are all vfr instruments needed except a radio, a new carbon fixed prop and everything else needed to get the airplane ready for inspection and flight. He is asking 35K. I feel that the value is there but am just wanting to make sure I am not just excited to own my first RV. As always, it will cost more than I think, but I feel that it will not cost more than a few thousand on top of the purchase price to have the airplane flying. Just wondering if anyone has any input and what the feeling is of the asking price.

Thanks,
Brent

Brent, I have no expertise to offer other than I have been watching the value of used 6s and kits for quite some time now. My initial thought after reading the above is "sounds like a great deal". This is based on the fact that I have rarely seen a flying 6 even with a 320 going for less than $50k. Also, many unfinished kits that have no fwf parts, instruments or even the finish kit are in the high teens. That being said, you really need to be careful and work with true RV experts and engine experts as I am sure it could end up being a nightmare if the plane is not right or the engine has issues. There is also the matter of can you get the Repairman Certificate in a situation like this. Good luck and make sure you keep us advised.

Bill,
Thanks for your thoughts. I have also been following RVs for awhile and it seems that you can not buy a flying RV four under 50-55K like you mentioned.
We know the original builder of this 6 and the motor builder "sounds" reputable but like you say, before we jump in, I need to have the plane gone over by someone experienced.

Brent

No logs on the engine? I would also question why someone would scavenge a 6 and use the parts for a 7. Something does not add up. Be careful.
However, if the airframe checks out and the FWF parts and pieces are in order, exhaust, engine accessories, etc.... you could consider the engine as a core and probably get yourself set up for another $15k on a rebuild. Regardless, be prepared to put a lot more time and money into this project than you think. (stricty opinion)

Back