What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Analysis of a (Maintenance) Mistake

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Last night I spent a good four hours trying to figure out how I had screwed up my perfectly fine airplane engine. What started out as a 500 hour Mag inspection turned into a troubleshooting exercise that finally turned up a maintenance procedural error on my part - I timed the Mags to the wrong mark on the flywheel! Now I?ve been working on these kinds of engines for years - how did I make such a fundamental mistake? I always like to look at errors (whether they be mine or others)to see if there are any lessons I can learn from them , and no good lesson is complete until it has been debriefed, so here goes?.

Although I have installed Mags from scratch before, I have only done it a few times over 30 years. I have checked timing a lot, but had never done any internal mag maintenance on my own before. I?d watched it done, but that was a long time ago. Consequently, I asked questions here on the forum, got a copy of the latest maintenance manual, picked up a couple of special tools, and really studied the procedure, step by step until I understood it. Removing the mags was easy (although I never seem to have the right Torx tip screw-driver to remove the harness caps!), and quite frankly, inspecting the internals of the mags and setting the E-gap timing was a piece of cake. The Unison manual was clear (although it has to be read carefully because it covers several different models, and you have to ignore a lot of paragraphs that don?t apply).

Before removing the Mags, the Unison manual said ?Rotate the engine to locate TDC for Cylinder #1, and leave it there.? You then take the mags off and do the internal stuff, and end with them at firing position with the pin in??and then assumes that your engine manual tells you how to install them. Of course, the engine manual says ?Install and time the mags?.? Now, I am not going to blame my mistake on the manuals - it was my mistake - but non-integrated procedures can be a source of errors! (There are many such examples in the aviation world - engine and acessory manufacturures tend to dance around the interface parts...)

I think my biggest mistake was relying on step by step instructions and not just stepping back and looking at the ?big picture?. If you stop and think about it, you want the cylinder to fire at a certain number of degrees before TDC, so that the spark has time to ignite the charge before it gets to TDC. The mag fires when the points open, and the timing light tells you when that happens. Therefore, you want the timing light to open at 25 BTDC! Pretty dang simple - so why did I miss it? Maybe it?s because I normally think like an Engineer (?how does it work??) rather than like a Technician (?how do I work it??). When I get to following rote instructions, I get lazy and forget to think about what I am doing. A contributing factor is a little fear of screwing up something as expensive and vital as my airplane engine, so I didn?t want to move things very far from where they were when I took them apart. But in this case, since I had disassembled the mag anyway, moving the engine shouldn?t have been any more traumatic!

When I finally thought about it, I realized just how darn simple these things are - with the mag rotor locked in firing position by the pin, you can insert it into the engine anywhere in the engine?s cycle that the gear teeth allow. So move the engine to (approximately) where you want it to fire, then fine tune it with the timing light. Something else that I walked into was the fact that the original anti-tamper lacquer from assembly was still on the engine and the mag, and when they lined up really close, I figure that I MUST be close to OK?.but that makes no difference, as that is just setting the relative position of the Mag and the accessory case - not the mag and the crankshaft.

So, for me, the lessons are to use the procedures, but make sure I think about what they mean?.make sure I understand that the procedures are frequently written for someone that already has been taught how to do the task (and aren?t necessarily written as a tutorial), and, oh yeah?.when I run into something that doesn?t make sense, go knock on my friend?s door (he?s an A&P/IA and lives next to the hangars) and say ?Mike, It?s been a long time since I?ve done this?can you check my work??

OK, so now that I?m current, does anyone need mag help?.before I forget how?

Paul

I always like to look at errors (whether they be mine or others)to see if there are any lessons I can learn from them , and no good lesson is complete until it has been debriefed, so here goes?.

Paul:

I Wish I could get more people that ask for my help to think this way.

You'll find most of the manuals that you need for a job like this are written by, dare I say it... Engineers. Frankly, this may be part of the problem.

Your analysis is right on; but I will say that from my experience I see some of smartest and most educated people make similar errors. The salient point here is that you are trying to share your experience and learn from your mistakes at the same time. There is a good deal of shared experience exchanged here in this forum; that's why many of us keep coming back.

As you correctly point out, when undertaking any task it's always best to step back and take a look at the big picture. Another sentence or two in the procedures manual would have taken care of the problem, but that is another story. I suspect that those who attempt to perform such a task without first consulting the procedures manual and only do so after having difficulty go this route mainly because of the poorly written manuals.

I came across some flight manuals for a Learjet 35 way back when in Lear flight training where the thrust reversers were referred to as "Pails"... it seems that the original writer had called the T/R's "Buckets" and the proof reader had changed the word from "Buckets" to "Pails."

I enjoy reading posts like this, and I know I'm not alone when I say that.

Timing protractor next time

A timing protractor is invaluable for timing the mags to the engine. The protractor is held onto the front of the spinner with rubber bands and duct tape. TDC is found by slowly and gently bringing the #1 piston up against a special stop (supplied with the protractor) that replaces the #1 spark plug. This is done twice: clockwise and counter-clockwise. Split the difference and voila! TDC to within about 1/2 degree. The dial on the protractor can be rotated to read TDC directly after it has been thusly calibrated. This is far more acurate than trying to project a line from the spine of the case across time and space to the flywheel. (And I would not trust those lasers sold to do the projecting unless they were collimated. I haven't used one but the amateur optician in me thinks that they may introduce additional, harder to measure errors.) On my 0-290 I have found that the mark on the flywheel that lines up with the mark on the starter is off a little. Without a protractor I would be timing my engine wrong because I wouldn't know that. The protractor method should appeal to engineeer types because it goes back to first principles. Anyway, I consider it required equipment for timing mags to the engine. It makes the whole job easy and fast. And accurate. They are widely available from parts houses. ATS has one for $60 (part #E25).http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/flyer.aspx?PageNo=11

Last edited:
Actually Steven,. I have used the protractor on the spinner before, and I don't seem to have the knack....fortunately, the newer flywheels (at least on my TMX-360) have timing marks that also line up with a spot on the starter. This is very accurate, and served as a way for me to check the calibration of my little laser pointer. The fact is, the timing always changes slightly as you tighten the mag nuts down (or at least when I do it), and so it takes an awful lot of fiddling to get things spot on - usually, I think when you get to within a half degree, it is good enough.

I once saw an engine mis-timed by 60 degrees (the flywheel was not keyed, and could be put on that far off), and the thing actually started and ran pretty well at high RPM's. Makes me wonder how hard I should work for that last degree sometimes....

It's good to have different methods, and some work better for some folks than others!

Paul

Good enough

Makes me wonder how hard I should work for that last degree sometimes....

Yeah, esp with gear slop and the usual rattle and hum. I get as close as I can and take the time to do it because I am an amateur and can indulge in the time. I can usually get both mags to go off at the same time and within 1/2 a degree or less, which is the limit of measurement. As you said, I'm not sure if that degree of accuracy is meaningful. Another fun toy is a Time-Rite, but they are really only necessary on radial engines or some geared engines and are too expensive to buy on a lark. I borrowed when I had a Jacobs engine. They work on Lycs but I have never used one on a Lyc. Each to his own, but the protractor works for me. A psst of WD-40 on the bearing each time I use it (once a year) seems to improve accuracy.

Back