What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mobile GPS-Your opinon on what to buy

• Thread starter Richard Suffoletto
  • Start date
R

Richard Suffoletto

My wife is pressing me to buy a GPS for the car. We have moved to a new area and take quite a few road trips so a automobile GPS would be handy. I was thinking why not buy a avaition GPS with ground mapping capabilites. I looked at the various s/w packages for handheld units like Ipaq, Dell, etc and avaition GPS with ground mapping but all I have accomplished is getting myself more confused. The unit needs to have voice prompt for ground use.

So has anyone out there with more computer savy than I gone through this process or does someone have experiance with a dual role GPS that they are willing to share?

Thanks

Richard

From an unofficial search last year, I believe the Lowrance is the only portable aviation unit that includes road mapping software as part of the initial kit. I wish the others offer the same perks. Anyone know otherwise???

Garmin on the road

I use my Garmin 196 on the road from time to time. The "basemap" is pretty basic, but it will get you to a lot of places. If you really want good road info, then you have to buy one of their supplemental MapSource products. Shop around, since there are large variations in price. I'm sure the 296 has all that and more...

Last edited:
I did the same search earlier this year and concluded that the Garmin 296 was the best bet. Yes its expensive after buying the car kit, but what a fantastic piece of equipment! I first used it on a business trip to denver - it took me from the airport to the doorstep of the business 40 miles away through areas I would have played hell looking for the old fashioned way. I was convinced right then and there I made the right decision.

Back