What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brakes screaming

TravisHamblen

I now have about 20 hours and everything is just great. BUT, I recently started fitting the gear leg fairings and in doing so I had to slightly adjust the shape of the loop in the brake line down at the wheel to allow the fairing to fit just right. I got the fairing all fitted, but have removed them because I don't want them on until I have the intersection fairings in place to lock them in place. On the first flight after making the slight change in the loop shape the brakes started SCREAMING!! Guys on the next hangar row over could hear them! Prior to this they didn't really make any noise at all. I can only speculate that if I made the change and now I have a new noise, the two must be related. The brake noise started right away, as soon as I started the plane and applied the brakes to slow down slightly to make a turn onto a taxiway. I took off, landed at another airport (problem still there), came back to my airport, tried to vary the braking, and to no avail the SCREAMING is still there. My only idea is to try to bend the tube a little to see if that changes anything. I just can't imagine that reshaping the brake line so slightly would change anything. ANY input on similar experiences or solutions would be very greatly appreciated!!!!

Travis

brakes

Had the same problem with my Rt. brake.
The whole airplane would vibrate and make a loud noise.
The brake caliper must be floating on the disc. If it is in a bind it can cause this problem.Try bending the coil so there is no side load on the caliper.
Hope this helps,
Rich Rudolph
RV-6A

Another possible issue might be that the brake line is now vibrating against the gear leg. The fix is simple, just add a forth section of vinyl tubing to the brake line and space them equally. This has solved a lot of noisy brake problems.

Me too,
After adding extra padding between the brakeline and gear and swapping wheels the problem went away then after a few flights it returned although not as bad as before. I'll try adjusting the position of the loop this weekend and will report any results.

Let me know!

Me too,
After adding extra padding between the brakeline and gear and swapping wheels the problem went away then after a few flights it returned although not as bad as before. I'll try adjusting the position of the loop this weekend and will report any results.

I went out and adjusted my brake line and also resecured them to the gear leg with some sliced hose/tubing for padding. I did notice where they had been rubbing before in a couple spots, so I am sure with the vibration and such it was not helping. Let me know what you find with yours. I know mine has to be related to the recent line movement, before that there was no noise! I couldn't take her out to see if that fixed the problem today, hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll find out on Monday morning.

Travis

Solved

Well I removed the left wheel pant and notice some evidence of brake fluid seapage at the AN fitting on the caliper. No dripping, just enough to create a gunky, dirty, oily film. I managed to get the fitting an eighth turn tighter and wiped off the grime. Of course, there was air in the brake lines from the seap and I bled the brakes. (always a messy job for me). Did an ops check by taxiing up and down the hangar row.
Result: brakes are nice and firm and no noises or seapage.
I reinstalled the wheel pant and made certain the service loop was not rubbing against anything. I will probably do some flying later today.
I am pretty certain that I solved my problem but will post any further issues.

Back