What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

alternaor problem

Build9A

Well Known Member
I have been flying problem free with my nippon internally regulated alternator from Vans. Today I switched on the master before starting up and noticed voltage at just under 12v on the voltmeter. I started normally and before switching on the alt. field switch the voltage climbed to 14v+ (voltage has not changed previously until switching on the alt). When I switched on the alt the voltmeter pegged out immediately at 16+++. No other switches, lights, radios, or transponder were turned on. I shut down, repeated, same result. Shut down and went home. 1st time this has happened. I watch the guages religiously. What would cause this? thanks, Jack

alternator problem

Hello Jack,

My alternator failed also and it happened at 39 1/2 hours. It was the only item that came in he entire project from Van's that I was disappointed with. I purchased the firewall forward kit and received a used/overhauled alternator not knowing that this is all they sell. When it failed I took the back off of it and it looked like junk that was sprayed with some paint and sent to me. I called and talked to Scott Risen at Van's who was very helpful dealing with this and was able to talk to me as an expert having previous worked overhauling alternators. He told me that they hadn't had many problems with the 60 amp alternators, but that they do stock the regulator and sent one to me. It takes just a couple of minutes to change.

Regards,
Bryan

Ughhhh New

The Nippon Denso alternators are great, but NEW is the only way to go. I am sorry to hear they are using used overhauled alternators. You would think that it should be OK overhauled with new parts, but sometimes they use aftermarket parts. Also I can't explain it but used/overhaul in any brand of alternator seems to be as good as new. You can buy NEW Denso for less $100 if you know where to look. Full retail they go for about $170 new. Oh well too late now. Hope the new regulator does the trick. Sounds like the problem, however the regulator should rarely fail from my research of the brand. It would be nice to know the part number off the old regulator and if it was a Nippon Denso Original equip part. I would really like to know if you can post it later, thanks.

Cheers George

Bad alternator

Hi Jack,

I'm sure that Bob Nuckolls of Aeroelectric Connection fame would love to do an analysis of this alternator. As George mentioned, this is a very rare event, and I think we could all benefit from a detailed analysis by an expert.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/

logo.jpg

Back