What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank

rangelyflyer

I'm New Here
What don't you like about the fuel tank as installed in the POC? My main gripes are:

- It does not appear that you would be able to check the fuel level with a dip stick. I think a translucent plastic tank would be better.

- The position of the tank behind the spar might cause undue weight and balance hassles. I can live with this.

- The riveted sheet metal tank is susceptible to puncture and deformation and will be more difficult to build.

I hope the preproduction -12 has an impact resistant, translucent, plastic tank. If it does not, I think this will be a show-stopper for me and I'll go with another manufacturer.

While I do agree with what you're saying, I also feel compelled to say that Van is the person designing the airplane, and if you don't want your tank to be built that way, you're welcome to make your own to your own desires :)

I, for one, am personally not going to make any decisions until the final "production" version of the airplane is ready and flying. Who knows what changes will be made...

Patience my friend...:D Allow the master to complete the airplane before judgement ;):p

I am sure van is cabaple of developing a safe/reliable tank with ability to measure fuel. Weld-in bushings and install a super-cub site gauge. Do like the Thorpe T-211 and stick a fuel bladder into the tank for added safety. There are so many options that I wouldn't let this be the only reason i went with another airplane.

Jim Miller

The T211 blader is no better than a fuel cell: it leaks. I helped anual a T211 and found a fuel seep. I actually like the fuel cell idea as it's so easy to build, doesn't leak and you can easily tell how much gas you have. I wonder how much it would cost vs. making your own. I know it would be a pain to ship though.

Easy in Easy Out

After going through the hassle of building new wing tank for my RV-3. I would much rather loosen a couple of straps and put in a new or repaired fuel tank in an hour instead of a couple weeks rebuilding a wing tank and repainting my wing. Maybe Van is smarter than some of you think!
Dennis Winkel

Quality fuels cells

The T211 blader is no better than a fuel cell: it leaks. I helped anual a T211 and found a fuel seep. I actually like the fuel cell idea as it's so easy to build, doesn't leak and you can easily tell how much gas you have. I wonder how much it would cost vs. making your own. I know it would be a pain to ship though.

I work for a company that builds long travel sand rails. We had Fuel Safe build a custom designed fuel cell bladder to our design. It wasn't inexpensive, but can you put a value on avoiding death or serious injury? They are a one piece build up and do not leak. They survive 200 mph plus crashes in race cars. There may even be a production cell available that will work (we will have to wait for the final version of the aircraft). I am not sure how much weight would be increased (Fuel Safe can provide specs), but this type of bladder is certainly worth considering.

Back