What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Survival Vest

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I put this in another thread but thought I start a new one

You are flying along a remote shore line and the engine quites an you put it down on a narrow beach. You get out but the plane is half way into the water and sinks as the tide comes in before you could get all your gear and the ELT out. You are fine but wet in a remote area. The recent Sparky Imeson thread, a crash into trees, remote area and the plane burns completely to nothing. Again no ELT or gear

As suggested in the Sparky Imeson thread a safety vest with all the survival stuff would be good to have. You would have your PLB/ELT and survival tools on person. It would also be just convenient to carry all your day to day stuff: cell phone, wallet, iPod, Camera, PDA/Blackberry, energy bar, water bottle .......

This applies even if you bail out and end up hanging from a tree. A lot a good your cell phone or PLB would be in the flight bag that went down with the plane.

Last night watching TV, a line of vests, jackets and pants with pockets was shown. The typical cargo pants or fishing vest really look bad but this line looks good and would be a nice flight accessory.

http://www.scottevest.com/

prod_outerwear_vest40.jpg
prod_pants_ultimate.jpg

Even for an airshow, hiking or walking around the mall it would be nice to have some thing to hold all the electronics we have now a days. Its this or a man's purse! :eek:

Here is a great vest for this:

s7940239renderset01ur8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is model 940239 at Cabela's, www.cabelas.com.

Most fishing vests have pockets also in the back, something I didn't want. This one has a smooth back. I haven't tried it in the plane yet with junk in the pockets, but will tomorrow.

These vests are all good idea but there is one problem with each of them. If you have something in one of the pockets and it winds up under the harness and you crash, the pen, tool, whatever, could break a rib or puncture a lung.

A friend who put a Cherokee down in the gulf was surprised at how quickly the plane sank. There was no time to get equipment out, so unless you are wearing the vest when the problem occurs, chances are, you aren’t going to have it one when you touch down. The other catch 22 is, if you have to ditch, you probably will discard the vest once in the water as it (and its contents) could pull you under.

Last edited by a moderator:
These vests are all good idea but there is one problem with each of them. If you have something in one of the pockets and it winds up under the harness and you crash, the pen, tool, whatever, could break a rib or puncture a lung. SNIP

I tend to see the glass as half full - that cell phone might keep an errant control stick from digging in. But, one should be careful as to what goes where in the vest.

EAA sells one of these and I got one last year for Christmas. I've flown with it several times and like it. There's not a lot of storage space in the -8 so I keep AA batteries and other stuff I might need in the pockets. Unfortunately most of the pockets are under the seat belt and shoulder harness portions of the harness. I haven't really loaded up the pockets for a long cross-country yet so don't know the real usefulness yet.

Karl

Vest

As a Blackhawk crewchief, Uncle Sam gave me a vest and it was jam packed with good stuff. I had an IR beacon(strobe).... fishing gear, bug repellant, a mirror etc.... The vest was mesh with cloth pockets. Now granted.... the 9mm and the vest and the Chicken Plate were all worn together.... and it could be a bear getting to your gun if things were not put on right. I'm thinking it would not be too hard to put together a package like I used to wear with a fly-fishing vest. Of course the bottle rockets (rescue flairs) may or may not be legal in your state but whatever.... We had everything packaged so that it should not puncture your body with impact. I'll look into the survival vest and see how much a package would cost. Maybe I can put together a stock RV survival vest package for everybody.... and sell it at cost as a complete item.
Best
Brian Wallis
ps... always take a magnifying glass... it works when matches dont:D

Since rigging up my vest (see earlier post this thread), I have had second thoughts. Not due to the valid concerns raised by Bill, but another one. It seems like the extra girth created by the vest could be what prevents a timely exit from the plane. There isn't exactly going to be a large door waiting...

I wonder if a different approach would make sense - some sort of pack connected to a tether cord of some sort. So, one lands in a field, eats some sod and manages to sneak out through the broken canopy. Then, the pack would be hauled out with the tether.

Any thoughts?

Vest

As a Blackhawk crewchief, Uncle Sam gave me a vest and it was jam packed with good stuff. I had an IR beacon(strobe).... fishing gear, bug repellant, a mirror etc.... The vest was mesh with cloth pockets. Now granted.... the 9mm and the vest and the Chicken Plate were all worn together.... and it could be a bear getting to your gun if things were not put on right. I'm thinking it would not be too hard to put together a package like I used to wear with a fly-fishing vest. Of course the bottle rockets (rescue flairs) may or may not be legal in your state but whatever.... We had everything packaged so that it should not puncture your body with impact. I'll look into the survival vest and see how much a package would cost. Maybe I can put together a stock RV survival vest package for everybody.... and sell it at cost as a complete item.
Best
Brian Wallis
ps... always take a magnifying glass... it works when matches dont:D
Brian,
Another UH-60 crewchief here-135th Av Bat ANG-7th Air Cav-How ya doing bro? A mesh back tactical vest would work great. Very similar to what we used to wear flying. Firequest.com, tactical supply outlets like 7th Calvary carry them as well. Good ones run from $40-$100. Also good outlets for med packs, water pills, flares, survival packs,etc.
Keep the door clear,
Mike H 9A/8A

True story

I wonder if a different approach would make sense - some sort of pack connected to a tether cord of some sort.

Any thoughts?
Thoughts? Not sure if they are good, but your point is valid. I am working on the idea you bail out, the plane sinks or burns to the ground right after you get out.

The guy I mention above Sparky Imeson, who has written books and put out vids on mountain flying for at least 20 years. Sparky tells a story where he and a student crash in the mountains (just last year).

http://www.mountainflying.com/crash1.htm

The two pilots got out of the plane, but it burnt to the ground almost immediately. They had nothing. They where found later, with minor to moderate injury, but the handheld radio and first aid kit they had in their plane would have been nice to have, no doubt expediting their rescue. They where well prepared, but the equip was in the plane and burnt to a crisp. They had nothing, not even a knife or matches.

So a vest with some basics would be nice, not the kitchen sink. I'm thinking of PLB, cel phone, some basic basic first aid, a candy bar or two, fold out cup...compass....signal mirror....space blanket...the usual suspects in a survival kit. You can still have the big first aid and survival stuff, water, in the plane as well.

For me I wear a parachute. It would be a bummer to bail out, survive and get caught 60 feet up in a tree and not be found. So some communication on person would be nice, PLB, Cel or VHF.

Last edited:
...It seems like the extra girth created by the vest could be what prevents a timely exit from the plane. There isn't exactly going to be a large door waiting...
Alex,

Exactly how did it expand your girth? Up around the chest or down in the waist?

I'm not sure your tether idea will work all that well as there are so many things to get hung up on in our planes. Heck, my tool bag gets snagged just lifting it out of the back.

I did add a Magnesium Firestarting Tool for $5.50 and a Adventure Medical S.O.L. Survival Pak for $25 to my tool bag. In addition to those two items, I've added some power bars. With all the backing Nora and I do, the only knife I now carry is the Leatherman Squirt P4 Multi-Tool for $33. If I were to put a "survival kniff" in the kit, it would be a Glock Survival Knife 81. (Sorry, I can't remember how much I paid for mine.)

We fly over the appalachian mounds a good bit and there are places in there where it will take more than a few days for someone to get to us, should we go down. Those items should help us get by, if we can get them out of the plane.

Last edited:
We fly over the application mounts a good bit

Is that somewhere near the "allagamey mounts"? ;)

Seriously, though, a magnesium fire starter is good, but I'd get either a BlastMatch or a SparkLite, either of which can be used with one hand to practicaly THROW sparks onto your kindling. You'll have a fire going in no time. There's a head-to-head evaluation on this website (which also has gobs of good information about survival gear.

Is that somewhere near the "allagamey mounts"? ;)

Seriously, though, a magnesium fire starter is good, but I'd get either a BlastMatch or a SparkLite, either of which can be used with one hand to practicaly THROW sparks onto your kindling. You'll have a fire going in no time. There's a head-to-head evaluation on this website (which also has gobs of good information about survival gear.
Buck,

Thanks for pointing that out. I've corrected the spelling. Duh...

Also, that is a great site. Again, thanks!

One advantage to the magnesium shaving type fire starter is that it works much better than just a sparker when the "fuel" you are tying to ignite is wet.

Last edited:
Alex,

Exactly how did it expand your girth? Up around the chest or down in the waist?

I'm not sure your tether idea will work all that well as there are so many things to get hung up on in our planes. Heck, my tool bag gets snagged just lifting it out of the back.

SNIP

Well, I have a 406 beacon, a com radio, cell phone, blaze orange thin poncho, basic first aid. It isn't like my girth is all that much bigger. I just can imagine being upside down in a rough field, trying to squirm out of a relatively small hole in a hurry. A couple inches could make the difference. I agree with you about the snagging - I guess that sort of makes my point (think sharp edges of plexi). I don't know which reduces overall risk more - getting out a little faster or having good stuff with when (if) you do get out. Answer, as always, is "it depends". I guess if the vest can be left behind easily if needed given no room for gymnastics, that would be the best solution. Maybe velcro instead of zippers? Hmmm.

After hearing stories of hanging upside down in crashes for days, having the airplane sink,burn or stay hung up in a tree. I'm in the if it's not on me, then I won't have it crowd.
Bill, I would add several heavy duty plastic bags to hold water and a vacume packed sponge to collect it and a small bottle of water treatment tablets. I'd also add a laser flare or a laser pointer, they can be seen quite a ways at night and can ride in that arm pocket with a pen/pencil.
Up here, we are required to carry survival gear in the aircraft, but as many have said sometimes it can't be reached.
Howie

Well that is better

Well I thought WHAT $299! Than I saw it came with a pencil, so it's OK. :rolleyes: Ha-ha its a good find and list to start with. There are some things I would substitute or delete.

Wiki has a good generic list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_kit
Website with good info: http://www.equipped.org/fm21-76.htm
Here is recommended basic $32 survival kit: http://www.equipped.org/psp/psp_contents.htm

One of the most important items, survival manual (free): http://www.equipped.org/multiservice_ser_manual_1999.pdf
(If you never where a boy scout worth a read.)

I think you can buy a vest and stock it way cheaper than $300, but its nice.

Last edited:
WWII Army Air Corps vest

I have two vests. One is the traditional flyfishing vest that I will use in my RV. The other is the vest shown below that I use in my little Taylorcraft L2 "warbug". Those of you who will be using a WWII livery on your RV might want to consider this vest:

c1vesthl7.jpg

They were designed and produced for the Army Air Corps during WWII. There were several varients since the theater level supply folks were allowed to modify them for their theater needs. Most have a holster for a pistol on the left side. You can find them on ebay frequently. I bought mine in suprisingly good condition, actually mint, for under $100. I have seen them go for much less. The one shown is actually on ebay now.

More information about the C1 vest can be found here: http://www.anaspides.net/My collection pages/Collection showcase/survival vests.htm

Last edited:
That will teach them to cut you off in the pattern. It's called "FNG-9"? The dude's a little too enthusiastic. :eek:

I like an arms dealer with enthusiasm...

I've been thinking about starting to wear a U.S. Air Force flight suit instead of a vest for cross-country travel because of the previously mentioned hazard of having some of the contents injure you on impact. The flight suit will hold the necessary items in the leg pockets and as a plus it's fire resistant and very comfortable. I know that some will look at me and think 'poser', but I think I can live with that for the additional comfort and peace of mind. Not sure I can sell my wife on the idea of wearing a flight suit, though, maybe the comfort factor will win her over.

For most of my day-to-day flying I have a cell phone on my belt and a butane lighter, a small vacuum packed sponge, and a serrated survival folder in my jeans pockets. I also try to avoid wearing any clothing made of synthetic materials when flying and almost always wear a good pair of leather hiking boots to protect my feet.

Gentlemen

Gents, CraigC, DanLandry, MacNab:

I know its all in fun and interesting to me but.....discussion of firearms on the list is marginal IMHO, per Doug's rules which I try to respect. I suppose for survival a pistol would be nice, but sorry, I like to turn the thread back to survival vest, no offense to any one. Good stuff, love to chat about legality of guns on GA airports and planes, but PM or email, me cheers. Seriously I'm NOT a moderator. I am not the thread police either, but I started this thread. I'd like to turn in back on course an not make it .

PS: MacNab the comment about synthetic material is spot on, good tip, even for everyday flying clothes. Your comment about wearing a flight suit and looking like a 'poser' made me laugh. Just don't wear to many patches or one that is too tight. ha-ha. They have ones-zees or jumpsuits that don't look as much like military flight suits, but are as functional. All the good ones use NOMEX which is fire resistant:
http://www.flightsuits.com/uniform.html.

Also per my first post they make "cargo pants" or outdoors-man pants with pockets galore:
http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_pants_shorts.shtml

Cargo pants won't be as conspicuous, however I like the flight suit idea. Heck I might get a pair to go to the bar. With a pair of RayBan's on, I could Karaoke "You lost this loving feeling". I might meet Kelly McGillis? (weak Top Gun reference) :D Seriously a jumpsuit or flight suit is a practical idea. I suspose "Orange" would be a good color to be visable.

Last edited:
SURVIVAL VESTS

Another source is Carbelas.com for cargo pants and camping "survival" gear

Wally Hunt
RV-4 Finishing Kit
VAF # 476:cool:

I know its all in fun and interesting to me but.....discussion of firearms on the list is marginal IMHO, per Doug's rules which I try to respect. I suppose for survival a pistol would be nice, but sorry, I like to turn the thread back to survival vest, no offense to any one. Good stuff, love to chat about legality of guns on GA airports and planes, but PM or email, me cheers. Seriously I'm NOT a moderator. I am not the thread police either, but I started this thread. I'd like to turn in back on course an not make it .

PS: MacNab the comment about synthetic material is spot on, good tip, even for everyday flying clothes. Your comment about wearing a flight suit and looking like a 'poser' made me laugh. Just don't wear to many patches or one that is too tight. ha-ha. They have ones-zees or jumpsuits that don't look as much like military flight suits, but are as functional. All the good ones use NOMEX which is fire resistant:

Also per my first post they make "cargo pants" or outdoors-man pants with pockets galore:

Cargo pants won't be as conspicuous, however I like the flight suit idea. Heck I might get a pair to go to the bar. With a pair of RayBan's on, I could Karaoke "You lost this loving feeling". I might meet Kelly McGillis? (weak Top Gun reference) :D Seriously a jumpsuit or flight suit is a practical idea. I suspose "Orange" would be a good color to be visable.

Couldn't help but have some fun with your comment about the arms dealer. Shooting is one of 'my other hobbies' that I can no longer afford because of my aviation addiction (along with golf, skiing, horses, motorcycles, etc.) I'm pretty much a one hobby guy now, because of the escalating cost of flying an aircraft and my refusal to give it up.

I already have and wear an Air Force flight suit for acro flying - much more comfy when wearing a chute. Felt a little weird about wearing it in the RV, though. It doesn't have a single patch on it.

I'm all about fun

Couldn't help but have some fun with your comment about the arms dealer.
Ha ha, I know, often I can't help my self and I get in trouble, no problem, beers on me. :D Funny in the hanger working on the plane I put coveralls on my street clothes. The chute comment, I was thinking the same thing. As far as patches, I am going for it....ha-ha.....with the big old aviator raybans.

Last edited:
I duuno abut orange....

With all the security around airports these days and the paranoia amonst them regarding GA an orange suit may get you mistaken for a local escapee and land you in the local hooskow; until you provide DNA, fingerprints, your kindergarten teacher's middle name and your dog is retrieved and recognizes you. Get a PLB or SPOT if you are flying anywhere near remote areas.

Back