What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rick's Rocket progress and a few tips/pics

rv6rick

Well Known Member
Purchased over 2 years ago, my F1 project collected dust while I finished an RV8, completed an RV4 project, and built an RV10....it's now on the front burner :D.

Here's a few pics of my nearly complete empennage. Take note of:

-my kids do most of the work :D

-12 extra stiffeners in the horizontal stab (T. Martin mod...thanks Tom), no chance of oil canning here

-scratch built one piece (yes...ONE piece ALL the way around) emp fairing (in progress) :D

-no rivets on the rudder exit fairings (removable)

-a great way to rivet the HS forward spar using your left over RV10 bucking bar

-a few pics of how to 'box in' the emp tips and channels so they will NOT crack or chip down the road :eek:

Here's a link to the pics:

http://rickygray.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album09

Enjoy,

Last edited:
extra stiffeners

-12 extra stiffeners in the horizontal stab (T. Martin mod...thanks Tom), no chance of oil canning here

I noticed a Harmon Rocket that flew in a few weeks ago to our field had a deformed v/stab (read damaged). Looked like too much torque on some manuver. Maybe a snap-roll. :confused:
The extra ribs likely would have helped.(edit: stiffeners)

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm guessing that this HR had the 'RV4' tail section on it. My F1 has the 'EVO' HS and VS....the HS and VS have additional doublers added to the (already beefier) skeleton. To be clear...I added 12 stiffeners....not ribs.

Dunno' who that 'new guy' with the clean shave is :rolleyes:

Back