What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 Child Headsets Reviewed

nucleus

Well Known Member
I was asked privately about child headsets because I have a couple for sale in the classifieds section.

The little red AV COMM AC250 worked fine for my son and a few other kids, but now that he is seven it seems a little small.

The Softcomm ANR Model C-45-20 works well, and definitely cuts out the noise much better than the passive AC250, and it is a little larger as well. It will work as an adult unit in a pinch ( :D get it?). You can also get a larger headband from Softcomm to make it adult sized. It will be a little big for very little kids. For $220 it is a great deal, and has the best noise reduction of these three headsets. I am selling my very lightly used pair for only $150 in the classified section... hint hint.

The reason I am selling the active noise reduction Softcomms, is that my son prefers the comfort of Bose QC 2 headphones with the UFlyMike adapter.

Probably not what you want to hear, because that is an expensive ($595) combination. The headband circumference is a little big for him, and would definitely not work well for a smaller kid. I have considered buying some extra foam to take up some space between the headband and his head, but it works okay as is, but is loose.

Advantages of the Bose QC2/UFlyMike combo are the compactness, and comfort for both adult and older child.

So there you have it.

Nucleus :D

how small is small?

Nucleous,

It just happens i am looking to buy a set for my 3 year old. Refering to the ANR pair, When you say large for small child, what do you mean? Define small... Like i said, i am looking for a nice headset for my 3 yearold (turns 3 next week) He has been wearing lightspeeds 30G..or whatever extra pair i have at the time and last flight kept taking them off. Time for him tohave his "very own pair" Happy Birthday son,,,and the toys just go up in price from here, right? :)

where are you located?

thanks for help.

jeff h
austin tx

What I mean by too big.

Jeff, the SoftComms would be tight enough to clamp on a 3 year old head, but the height dimension would be too big. What I mean by this is that the bottom of the headband cushion would not touch the top of his head (even tightened all the way) if the earcups were centered on his ears. So they would tend to flop forward or back and not stay in place.

You may be able to modify the headband to shorten it or add depth to the cushion so that it reaches down to the top of the head to stabilize the fit.

I remember what prompted me to buy my son his first set was me folding a stocking cap and sticking under the headband of the of the Dick Clarks he was wearing, all while flying the plane.

Nucleus

Back