What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to mount XM and GPS antenna G496

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I have a 496 in my RV-8 N247TD with XM radio and weather - which I love! :D, however, the previous owner who installed the unit just put the antennas on the glare shield. I saw one posting where the antennas were placed under access covers in front of the windshield on a RV-7 but don't want to go to that much trouble. Where are people mounting the antennas in -8's? Dan Checkoway also has some good info at his website.

In the Garmin book it looks like both antennas need a clear view of the sky. Is that true? Could they be mounted in the forward baggage area? I think I've seen some mounted behind the passenger seat on top of the fuselage but it looks like that would interfere with the canopy.

I'd sure like to clean up this installation so please give me some ideas, and pictures help me a lot. Thanks.

Bubblehead said:
I have a 496 in my RV-8 N247TD with XM radio and weather - which I love! :D, however, the previous owner who installed the unit just put the antennas on the glare shield. I saw one posting where the antennas were placed under access covers in front of the windshield on a RV-7 but don't want to go to that much trouble. Where are people mounting the antennas in -8's? Dan Checkoway also has some good info at his website.

In the Garmin book it looks like both antennas need a clear view of the sky. Is that true? Could they be mounted in the forward baggage area? I think I've seen some mounted behind the passenger seat on top of the fuselage but it looks like that would interfere with the canopy.

I'd sure like to clean up this installation so please give me some ideas, and pictures help me a lot. Thanks.

I'm working on this right now.

I've been flying for some time with the Garmin GPS antenna on the turtledeck (I lengthened the cable) and the XM antenna velcroed to the seat back weldment--Works well but not too attractive.

I have the airplane apart right now for a million little upgrades. I'm going to put both antennae on the turtledeck, just aft of the rear seatback, with the cables going forward under the floors.

You can buy the mini-USB extension cables at www.airgizmos.com for the XM antenna. I have tested my 396 with 3 extension cables in series and it works fine. I think two are probably enough. The nifty airgizmos antenna dock is too tall to clear the canopy weldment, but the antenna itself fits.

You can buy suitable GPS antennas for the Garmin at gpsgeeks.com with leads up to 25' for about $20 right now. These Gilsson antennas work better than the pricier stock Garmin units. You can also splice the coax to lenghten the lead on the Garmin antenna you probably already have

XM antenna location

I haven't done this with mine as yet, but a friend has mounted his XM antenna on the firewall under the cowling using a short piece of aluminum on which to mount the antenna so it's properly oriented. He reports no signal degradation. The cable can be run through the firewall and along the hinge line of the baggage compartment and then to the panel.

For now, I just put mine on an iGrip pad placed on the dash panel to keep it from slipping. This way I can remove it when the weather is fine.

Chris

I haven't done this with mine as yet, but a friend has mounted his XM antenna on the firewall under the cowling using a short piece of aluminum on which to mount the antenna so it's properly oriented. He reports no signal degradation. The cable can be run through the firewall and along the hinge line of the baggage compartment and then to the panel.
Chris
Hi,

Has he had any problems with heat? Thanks!

XM antenna mount

Hi,

Has he had any problems with heat? Thanks!

Paul:

No problems with heat and the unit seems to work fine. He wants me to mount mine the same way. I just haven't had the airplane in down mode for a while and always hate drilling more holes in the firewall. But I've followed him on trips and his unit works just fine. I think he's had the XM antenna mounted this way for about a year.

Chris

Back