What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb Strainer and Primer

petehowell

Well Known Member
I began my annual and this weekend, and started working on the FWF portion as part of an oil change. I pulled the carb inlet strainer and found what I can only describe as "cat fur" in the strainer. It was about 3/8 full of the stuff. I had to use a dental pick to remove it. I don't have a cat, so not sure what it was.

I also had a primer line broken at the the solenoid. It broke right at the flare. I don't use the primer, so I removed it and the plumbing - saved a few ounces. Is there anything better than copper tubing for the primer lines? I have heard only bad things about copper.

Everything else looked pretty good!

Plane has 195 hours on it now. RV-9A with O-320

no primer in MN?

Hi Pete - I was wondering if you could share your experiences starting in cold weather with no primer. I just assumed that I'd need a primer to fly in winter here in IA, since the C150/C172 that I usually use really like to be primed below about 20F.

It would be great to know that I wouldn't have to install a priming system!

dave

Hi Dave,

We have a hangar we keep at 45 deg and I have a sump and cylinder heating system on a thermostat (Alex Peterson design) that keeps the engine at 70deg in the winter. If I travel in the winter, I'll plug it in at the very least.

The warm motor fires off very quickly using a pump of the throttle. I understand the risks of this.

If need be, I could quickly reinstall the system.

Primer lines

"I also had a primer line broken at the the solenoid. It broke right at the flare. I don't use the primer, so I removed it and the plumbing - saved a few ounces. Is there anything better than copper tubing for the primer lines? I have heard only bad things about copper."

Pete,
I have reworked the primer system on my RV-6.
I hadn't heard anything bad about the copper, in fact, just the opposite.
I wanted to and did, use Stainless Steel, but many thought it was over kill.
I have seen Alum used in primer lines and THAT does scare me.
Not sure why yours broke, but there should be a generous vibration loop in the line between the firewall mounted parts and the engine mounted parts.
I actually used a braided flexable line for that location.
Good Luck

Back