What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy screws and lock

R.P.Ping

Well Known Member
Just a couple of quick questions.

First, all the number 6 counter sunk screws for my canopy are stainless steel. The plans do not call out stainless and I'm wondering if I will have any paint adhesion problems?

Second, I see a lot of pictures with a key lock on the forward left side of the canopy. Has anyone got any information on this?

Thanks,

Getting so close I can smell it.
RV-9 90869

Last edited:
Key lock

R.P.Ping said:
Just a couple of quick questions.
Second, I see a lot of pictures with a key loc on the forward left side of the canopy. Has anyone got any information on this?

I got a key lock with a swing arm that I bent to shape (with a z-bend in it). Then you just cut a small rectangle hole in the top of the slider rail for the arm to fit into. You drill the hole so it lines up with one of the round holes on the inside of the bracing on the canopy.

It works fine, but Vans also has a simpler version that attaches to the rear of the slider track that you might consider.

Thanks Andy. I think I'll put the lock on the canopy. Van's slider lock is a little pricey.

Now back to the canopy screws. Let me ask this question a little differently.

Has anyone else received all stainless screws for their canopy?

I would like to add that a mag switch sold by
Vans and also Aircraft Spruce has two other
locks with it that are keyed the same.
One of these locks fit easily to the canopy,
just above the side rail. Center it on a side
brace lightening hole.

Tom Webster
RV-7A (FWF)
Slider

Back