What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Udvar Hazey

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Please do not adjust your computer - it has not suddenly started displaying in Norwegian!! :p

IMG_1452.JPG

Actually, I have no idea where the Name Udvar Hazey comes from, but I can tell you that of all the aviation museums I have visited, the Udvar Hazey Center at Dulles International in Washington D.C. has got to be my favorite so far. In fact, this "annex" of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum is better than the one on the mall, in my opinion. Louise and I visited last week, and came to the conclusion that this facility is really going to be a hit with pilots - while the main NASM is oriented towards telling stories and interpreting the history of aviation and spaceflight, the Udvar is just about showing the hardware. Airplanes of all sizes and descriptions that have been donated but never before had a place to be displayed are here - many hanging from the ceilings as if in flight. There are corners of the vast building dedicated to collections of engines and other bits and pieces as well. The building is well designed with multi-level catwalks so that you really feel that you are in the sky with this marvelously animated (yet still-life) collection.

You can go here for a few pictures that we took, but I know that you can find many more on line.

The airplane collection is huge and eclectic. Everything from remnants of pre-WW I aircraft to the SR-71 and Space Shuttle Enterprise. Global Flyer is hanging from the rafters, and of course, they have a concord. But they also have some ordinary machines, such as a J-3 Cub, Aeroncas, and other classics. No RV's......YET! I suppose all they need is for someone to donate one - there is plenty of room still left! (Nope, the Val is not an option until both Louise and I have both lost our medicals....)

Probably the most sobering thing for me was to walk into the Space Wing and see tow major payload systems that I flew on the Shuttle there on display, The Spacelab Instrument Pointing System was my first major responsibility, and one that I got lots of attention with (in our world) back in the early 80's. There it is - a museum piece, tucked away behind the Enterprise. And hanging high above the gallery is the Space Radar Topography Mapper, a JPL payload which we mounted in the Shuttle's payload bay and flew on a ten day mission back at the turn of the century (the first flight of the 21st century to be exact) and mapped all of the dirt on the planet between 60 degrees north and south latitude - to an accuracy of 1 Meter!

It dos make one feel old, however, seeing major parts of your life work in a museum..... :rolleyes:

I highly recommend this if you're visiting the D.C. area - we drove over from Louise's house, but there are several GA fields not that far away. The museum is free, but you have to pay 12 bucks for parking - still, IMHO, a real deal for what you get to see!

My reaction was the same as yours, Paul. Udvar Hazy is a spectacular place. I took a bazillion pics there. Prior to Mr.Udvar-Hazy's generous gift of several million $$, I hear tell the NASM only had room to display about 15% of their aircraft. BTW ...Udvar-Hazy was a Hungarian immigrant who started working servicing aircraft as a youngster, doing about anything he could to be around airplanes. In one of those amazing "only in America" stories, he worked his up into owning one of the largest airliner leasing companies in the world. In any event, his gift has added an amazing amount of display space to the NASM. As I recall, the building is over 1000' long, 300' wide and something over 200' tall. In just the south end, they have a 707, the Concorde, the Enola Gay, one of the old Stratocruisers, and several other BIG aircraft.

Rupester
Mahomet , IL
RV-9A QB fuse

The building creates it's own turbulence!

The building is in fact so large that it creates a noticable turbulence for those on short final to Rwy 1R at Dulles, if the winds are reasonably strong out of the northwest!

It is a great museum and the $12 parking fee can be quickly diluted if you go there with a car (or van) packed full with Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownies, Daisies, Girl Scouts, etc..etc..

Public transportation from downtown Washington

Hi all,

I agree with all that has been said above.
The only difficut part for me was to get from downtown Washington (hotel near the White House) to the museum by public transportation.
From my hotel it took about two hours :
- walk from hotel to Metro station
- Metro ride to bus stop
- half an hour wait for bus
- bus to Dulles airport
- half an hour wait for shuttle
- shuttle to Udvar Hazy

My ride could have been shortened by better coordinating the first connection from Metro to bus (i.e knowing the bus' timetable).
But the stange part is that the bus and shuttle are not synchronized at Dulles airport : half hour wait on getting to the museum and then half hour wait on the way home.
I might go again next time I fly to Washington, I'll rent a car.

More on public transportation

Pascal has the sequence right. The Metro bus leaves about once an hour from outside the Roslyn Metro train station. It costs $3 each way. If you pick a smoggy, "yellow" day (opps, I think they call is haze back here in the East), you can ride free. You can figure out the schedules at http://www.wmata.com/. I understand (but haven't tried it) that the shuttle from the Dulles terminal to the museum is free.

I'm in total agreement with Paul. Udvar-Hazey is one incredible museum.

Shuttle fare

If a remember right the shuttle from Dulles to the museum costs one or two quarters.
I visited last winter and was told that in summer there might also be a free shuttle from the Smithonian to Udvar-Hazy.

I've been lucky enough to have made two trips to the Udvar-Hazey museum, the most recent this May when my son's high school rocket team made the finals in the Team America Rocketry Challenge. With so many incredible aircraft and spacecraft on display, it's hard to pick favorites, but the two aircraft that astonished me most were the Ardo 234 "Blitz" jet bomber/recon plane, and the Dornier Do 335 "Arrow". Prior to arriving at the museum, I was unaware that there were any surviving examples of either - it was like walking around a corner and finding a live pterodactl at the zoo! The 234 wasn't really much of a bomber, but it was the SR-71 of WWII - able to handily outrun any Allied aircraft that attempted to entercept it. And the Do 335 fighter - it's so BIG! Two V-12 engines fore and aft in a push-pull configuration delivering 474 mph in level flight, one 30mm and 2 20mm cannons - yikes! Thank goodness that squadrons of these babies never got a crack at our bomber formations. There are so many rarites that there is no way to list them all - better just go up there and have a look for yourself!

William Slaughter
On hiatus from building the RV-8,
building & launching a bunch of high-power model rockets.

True, and....

I was just at the Udvar....well, Smithsonian-Dulles, this last weekend for the 3rd time and it is spectacular, but I got to say the SAC Museum in Omaha I was at two weekends ago was also spectacular. I had never seen a B-36 before, nor a B-58 or a bunch of other 'weird' one of a kind aircraft like the 'Goblin' which would be released from a B-36 then recaptured. Also the Cosmosphere in Kansas is unbeleivable and had 'stuff' I found fascinating in such a little, out in the middle of no where place. And if you are into one of a kind homebuilts and cool older military aircraft, the museum at Liberal, Kansas is a treasure chest of great proportions.

And don't forget the USAF Museum in Ohio, where the XB-70 can still be seen as well as a prototype F-117....

Yup, lots of great museums and almost costless to see....

Paul,

Glad you got a picture of the IPS in there with Space Lab in the background. MANY hours here at KSC working on both. I keep wanting to get up to Udvar Hazey and see if I can talk them into removing the piece of GSE from the top of the IPS. Just doesn't look right.

Don Vosgien :)

Don Vosgien said:
I keep wanting to get up to Udvar Hazey and see if I can talk them into removing the piece of GSE from the top of the IPS. Just doesn't look right.

Don Vosgien :)

I just went back and looked at my other pictures and you're right....it doesn't look like we could sep the experiment package from the ring in that configuration! Ah, the good old days....I still have a little cardboard IPS on my office bookshelf that I made to help me understand the gimbal system - maybe I should donate it to the museum someday!

Jetj01 said:
I was just at the Udvar....well, Smithsonian-Dulles...
When Paul and Louise were at the museum, Louise called me to clarify what airplane I had wanted pictures of (Lockheed 8 Sirius, which apparently isn't there). When she started talking about Udvar Hazey, I thought she was talking about the weather. I like the term so much I think I'll start using it myself.

Today in Carlsbad it is udvar drizzly and cool.

Wrong venue

Larry,

The Lindberg Sirius is at the downtown venue. Although I was there a couple weeks ago, I didn't get to that spot as I became overwhelmed by the August crowds (LOTS of European, Asian, and Middle Eastern visitors in addition to the usual U.S. tourists). I'll get back there soon and get that photo. World-class, free sites like the Smithsonian museums are a fine compensation for putting up with living in D.C.!

Back