What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portland Area Activities 9/8 & 9/9? Thing to See?

N316RV

Well Known Member
My wife and I will be in the Portland area Saturday afternoon Sept 8 and Sunday Sept 9. Are there any RV related activities either of these days that might interest us that we might attend? We are building a -9A and working on canopy tip up stuff. Yes I say ?we?. She operates a mean bucking bar and also has her VFR ticket.

We plan to spend that next week driving around seeing the beautiful state of Oregon. Any recommendations for ?must see? things?

The next weekend we will drive down to Reno for the air races on Saturday and Sunday. Any advice for first time attendees?

Thanks
Alan Jackson

Oh, you lucky man - that's the best time of year to visit Oregon.

A visit to Van's would be great, but I don't think they do that on the weekends.

As for for things to see / do, there's a LOT ... Are you thinking getting outdoors? Mountains? Coast? Stuff in the cities? Sightseeing from the car?

TODR

Alan, give me a call.

N316RV said:
My wife and I will be in the Portland area Saturday afternoon Sept 8 and Sunday Sept 9. Are there any RV related activities either of these days that might interest us that we might attend? We are building a -9A and working on canopy tip up stuff. Yes I say ?we?. She operates a mean bucking bar and also has her VFR ticket.

We plan to spend that next week driving around seeing the beautiful state of Oregon. Any recommendations for ?must see? things?

Thanks
Alan Jackson

I have a commitment Saturday evening, but would be happy to spend time with you both, including rides in my RV9A (if you have any interest in that sort of thing).

If you haven't seen Crater Lake yet, put it on your must see list. You could do that while driving to Reno. Columbia River Gorge has a lot of interesting features. The Oregon coast is another great place to visit in September and don't forget about USA most resent volcano, Mt St. Helen.

Kent Byerley
503 706-2618 (cell)
503 627-4045 (work)
503 651-3649 (home)

Speaking of which

We flew in to Hilsboro yesterday afternoon...took the mAx train (station is about 200yards) into Portland, saw the Body worlds exhibit..and then dinner then Spamalot...Hey I'm British, Monty Python is almost mandatory...Then back on the Max to HIO and back to CVO by midnight.

Cool afternoon...Except the 4 young rowdy men who decided it would be OK to intimidate other passengers...Having grown up in the inner city I quickly realised these guys wer'nt a serious threat but it scared the snot out of my Wife.

Hmm...Not a good idea to use the max late at night...Not unless your packing anyway..:)

Frank

I don't live in Portland (anymore), but some of the best things to see never change. I'd go back in a heartbeat if my wife and job would allow.

The Coast is amazing that time of year. Anywhere on the northern coast, from Astoria to Newport, there is a lot of stuff to do. Seaside and Canon Beach are easy day trips from Portland. Ecola St. Park is a good place for a Kodak moment - not sure if they've fixed the trail down to the beach - it's a shame if they haven't. Walk down the beach from downtown Canon Beach to Haystack rock and back, but remember, the water is a little chilly.

300px-Cannon_Beach_02.jpg

Portland has a ton of stuff to do. I have no idea what's going on there in September, but someone local can help. Lots of places to eat (fabulous Italian places), hike (Forest Park / Washington Park), sightsee, etc. Lots of good, local beer at the brewpubs (my favorite is the Rogue pub at NW 13th and Flanders. They have a beer menu with details on each brew, including alcohol content, residual sugar, density, etc - the McMenamins brother's pubs at Edgefield and the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse are historic)

On a flying related note, the Evergreen museum at MMV (ok, it's across the street) is worth a visit if you're in the area. They have a nice collection - too large, actually (they have a Beech Starship sitting out in the parking lot, getting rained on. You can tour the Oregon wine country in a day (don't have *too* much wine when you're tasting if you're also driving).

The mountains can be nice that time of year if that's your thing. Mt. Hood is close to Portland and has lots of hiking. Timberline Lodge, an old WPA-built structure is fun. Mountain biking is done at some of the ski areas and, of course, there is year-round skiing at Timberline up on the glacier.

On the north side of Mt. Hood is the Gorge, home to more nice hiking and car sightseeing. The Old Gorge Highway is a fun drive from Troutdale to Multnomah Falls, where you can have a nice hike.

275px-Multfalls.jpg

Lots of places down I-5 in the Willamette valley to see and spend time - Corvallis and Eugene are college towns with a definite hippie flavor. Further south, Ashland has the Oregon Shakespeare Festival that should still be going on in Sept. Crater Lake is a nice drive over from Ashland. You'll find Dutch Bros Coffee drive-through stands everywhere.

frankh said:
Cool afternoon...Except the 4 young rowdy men who decided it would be OK to intimidate other passengers...Having grown up in the inner city I quickly realised these guys wer'nt a serious threat but it scared the snot out of my Wife.

Hmm...Not a good idea to use the max late at night...Not unless your packing anyway..:)

Frank
I still ride MAX when I'm there and it's a good way to get around if it's going where you are. I think these guys are the exception rather than the rule, but that kind of thing is certainly possible anywhere in the US. :(

Travel safe and have fun!

TODR

EAA Chapter 105 Fly In/Poker Run

Alan,

EAA Chapter 105 will be having their Fly In/Poker Run Plus on Saturday 9/08, at Twin Oaks Airport (7S3) near Portland. There should be lots of RV's to look at, Flyouts, BBQ, hanger lies, and camping.

http://www.eaa105.org/2007-PokerRunFlyer.pdf

http://www.twinoaksairpark.com/

As far as must see things: Mt. St. Helens, Columbia River Gorge, Central Oregon Cascades, Oregon Coast, Mt. Hood, Vans, Evergreen Air Museum (Home of the Spruce Goose), Crater Lake, Rogue River, Washington Park (Portland)... This list could go on and on....! ;)
Have fun!

You will be here on the opening weekend of the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum in Hood River at the airport. A bunch of antique planes including a 1917 JN4D Jenny, SN#1, freshly restored after sitting in a barn in Ohio since 1926 (yes, it still does happen!). http://www.waaamuseum.org/

Take a drive out I-84 thru the Columbia River Gorge in the morning (see "the other Doug Reeves'" photo of Multnomah Falls), then visit the museum at Hood River, then back to Portland over Mt. Hood. This is one of the most scenic drives you will ever see and you get the aeroplane museum to boot! Try to time it so you can be at the museum before noon on Sunday because they have assumed everybody will take off for home by then.

the_other_dougreeves said:
Lots of good, local beer at the brewpubs (my favorite is the Rogue pub at NW 13th and Flanders. They have a beer menu with details on each brew, including alcohol content, residual sugar, density, etc -

Mmmm, Rogue beer. If ya like the dark stuff, you gotta try their Shakespeare Stout. Best. Beer. Ever.

jbDC9 said:
Mmmm, Rogue beer. If ya like the dark stuff, you gotta try their Shakespeare Stout. Best. Beer. Ever.
Oh, my, yes, that's good stuff. Best to sample several pints ... just to make sure that the quality is good. :D

McMinnville is not too far off your path, see the Goose, and a lot of other aircraft.

As far as Reno, it is very hot there, sunscreen, water, money. Good camera, get a pit pass, well worth it. Did I mention hot??? Portable radio also nice.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll use while planning my our trip.
Alan Jackson

Back