What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

anyone ever thought of a v-tail conversion?

the4ork

of course it would have to be beefier than all **** and probably woulnt save any weight but you could get rid of another control surface out in the wind....

plus it would just look cool! :D

Mike S said:
Sonex/Waiex???
And Kit planes trashed the Waiex in their last write-up. The V-tail Bonanza is known for fishing tailing through the sky and making passengers (and pilots) air sick.

Other than that, isn't this what putting the mental in experimental is all about?

Go for it and let us know how it works out.

you must have that "V tail Cirrus Jet" picture from Plane and Pilot pinned up on your bulletin board too???? :cool:

N941WR said:
The V-tail Bonanza is known for fishing tailing through the sky and making passengers (and pilots) air sick.

Actually the front seats aren't bad, they are about on the axis of the "fishtail" motion. The people in the back seats are the first to blow lunch. :mad:

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

John Clark said:
Actually the front seats aren't bad, they are about on the axis of the "fishtail" motion. The people in the back seats are the first to blow lunch. :mad:

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA
Actually, It's not the "V"-tail that causes the fishtailing on the Bonanza. It's the "short coupling." The "straight tail" Bonanza, or "Debonair", does the same thing.
I had a Moni Motorglider with a V-tail (and a long tail moment). It had none of the fishtail characteristics.

V tails

Mel,

Having a lot of time in various Beech products, I have disagree a little. I will agree that they all have some motion due to the short fuselage but in my experience the V tail is worse. I have flown many hours an S-35 V-tail and an F-33A. The F-33A goes a lot straighter. Also I owned a BE-55 Baron for 8 years, same fuselage but with a monster vertical stab and a ventral fin. It was quite stable. On the Moni the wingspan has to have a damping effect on the actions of the tail.

Anyway, I am picking nits here, I have a hunch it will be a while before we see a V-tail on an RV. :)

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Leeon Davis V-tailed designer

One of my favorite designers, Leon Davis designed and flew several V-tailed experimental/kit planes. I don't think he got enough credit. Here was one of his last designs:

SA_Cover_Aug_1996.jpg

Above is a DA9 that broke many records. Leeon's C-90 powered DA-9, first flown in 1990. Cruise speed at altitude and full throttle (65% power) was 225 kt. That is 260 MPH on 58 hp! A later DA10 was powered by a O235.

The DA9 lead to the DA-11, quite similar in size and shape to Leeon's DA-9. Look at the pdf article below for a good view of the tail, wow! (I can see a dozen very cool and righteous things about this plane.) http://www.airplanezone.com/NewsgroupPix/DA-11.pdf AND http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/da11.html

If you think it looks funny, it is powered by a 18 h.p.Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle lawn mower engine and does 125 mph cruise on 1.17 gph with a range of 625 miles. Empty weight is 177 lbs with full electrical and a 198 lb useful load including 6 gal of wet wing fuel, steerable nose wheel, adjustable rudder pedals and hydraulic brakes. I think its cool as can be. Perfect LSA? :D

Although the DA11 never went into production (two built) the DA2A was a very popular Davis kit design in the 1960's, also with a V-tail. If you think your RV needs more HP and has to be heavy, here's proof it can be done light with less hp (and this was in the mid 1960's). It used a A65 continental with empty 625lb / gross 1125 lb, with a 115 mph cruise (on 50 hp, 75% on a A65 hp). It could also accommodate a C90/O200. It was called the shrunk Bonanza that flew like a Cherokee. It apparently had no trace of the well-known "Wichita Wobble" that plagued early Bonanzas.

Here is a link to a link to article on DA2. Below a few DA2's: LINK

3.jpg

davis.jpg

Mr. Davis Passed away recently on April 7, 2007: Article Link RIP Leeon.

Last edited:
the4ork said:
of course it would have to be beefier than all **** and probably woulnt save any weight but you could get rid of another control surface out in the wind....

plus it would just look cool! :D
Been watching this thread for a long time biteing my tongue.

There are those of us that want to fly. We build according to the plans or very close to the plans.

There are others not interested in flying but like building. They sit around surfing the interent and have long conversations about making changes that those in the first group find impractical, very time consuming, and add no value to the airplane other than making it different. Those in the first group that have made changes to the plans know how much build time, effort, weight, delay to the first flight, and money gets added to the airplane with changes.

My flame suit is ON.

Back