What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pink Alien City Spotted!

petehowell

Well Known Member
Earlier this year, my sister-in-law Lauren was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent surgery, radiation, and chemo. So far so good! 15 years ago my mother went through almost exactly the same thing. Luckily, Mom has been cancer free for over 10 years.

This spring, my wife Andi decided it was time to do something to help out. She committed to the 3-day walk for breast cancer. This involved training to walk 60 miles over 3 days and raising at least $2200.

This weekend, the preparation was over and it is was time to walk. Andi raised over $2500 and walked several hundred miles in training. Needless to say, we are very proud of her. My daughter Megan and I did our part by doing some flyovers of the evening campground. Andi was proud to tell the women in camp that the plane was me and Megan, and that we built the plane in the garage! Some strange looks followed.......

This camp is some production - hundreds of pink tents, shower trailers, medical facilities, and chow wagons.

Pink is theme for this event - they may take it a bit too far - but all for a good cause!

From the air:
2004850669647808107_rs.jpg

2004887155996293698_rs.jpg

Megs and I on the flight home. She is wearing our home-made clarity aloft-style headset(she liked it better than the lightspeed)

2004872924446334361_rs.jpg

Last edited:
Cool pictures for a good cause! On a side note...your shoulder harness strap padded covers...if you reversed sides, the zipper would not be on your neck...I guess it doesnt bother you?

challenges

i had chemo once a month for a year. ...ill never forget the smell of those plastic braclets. window tint makes me sick to smell. it was horrible, and i didnt even have cancer. these women and a few men as wel, fight a battle hopefully most will not have to fight . makes the building challenges seem like watering the lawn.
wishing your sister in law strength, will ,and hope. ;) . oh yeah and a very gentle pat on the back for putting up a good fight.

clarification: plastic admittance braclets not the cancer awareness bracelets made of rubber. they really have a strong odor to someone on chemo. i could smell the strangest things. most of which you wouldnt believe.

Last edited:
Great Cause

Pete,

Thanks for sharing this!! My mother-in-law waged a successful battle with breast cancer just over 2 years ago. Also, coincidentally, tomorrow I am going over to Thomasville, Ga. to visit a close friend who has stage-4 bladder cancer. What a horrible disease Cancer is!

We wish your sister-in-law, as well as all in the battle for their life, nothing but the best.

Dave Clay

off RV topic but more important, and maybe a little tacky...

After more than a year of treatments, complications, pain, and prayers, my own sweetie, Mrs. Root lost her battle with cancer on Independence Day. Not fully understanding the importance of the annual tests, she hadn't had an exam for almost six years prior to the diagnosis. We suspect that had the cancer been diagnosed earlier, the treatments would have been successful.

So now I'm the cancer checkup poster boy for all you guys. If necessary, let's be real butt-heads (if necessary) about getting our ladies to the doctor every year for those check-ups.

Grab your lady by the hand, and drag her down to doctor land. And while you're there, here's what you do, have him digitize YOU too!

Back