What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OT: Blast from the past - Mountain photo

Tandem46

Well Known Member
Sorry, I had to share this photo. The location isn't in Switzerland, or the Rockies, or the Cascades, or even the Olympics. The photo was taken in eastern Oregon, Wallowa Lake to be precise, on the northeast side of the Eagle Cap range in the Blue Mountains. Wallowa Lake is a glacier lake and is so clear that you can see the bottom when you are out on it in a boat. What is even more amazing, at least to me, is that this photo was taken in 1976 and the pilot flying the plane was my Mom. I never knew the photo existed until she recently sent it to me. Amazingly, the town in the right hand corner, Joseph Oregon, looks almost exactly the same today as it did 31yrs ago when the photo was taken.

wallowa04bh4.jpg

Last edited:
Don't be sorry for sharing!

Tobin,
That's a neat photo, especially with the history behind it.
Your mom was flying! That's cool.

Thanks for serving our country!

Mark

Last edited:
That is beautiful country. My Brother lives in Joeseph and I've flown there many times in a C182... Next weekend will be my first trip there in my -7. I'm looking forward to getting there faster, higher and "funner" :)

Dave C

Neat PLace

Tobin,

That is a very neat looking area. I assume the air strip is just out of frame. It also looks like the winters could be brutal

That area is sometimes referred to as "America's Swiss Alps." Joseph, has become an artist's community with several galleries and bronze foundries in the area. Farming and ranching still play a large role in the area economy. The airport, with self-serve avgas, is 3/4 mile west of town. The Wallowa Lodge at the south end of the lake, 4 miles south of Joseph, has a shuttle to pick up you up at the airport. Besides the Lodge, there are motels and cabins for rent at the lake. Joseph also has restaurants and motels to cater to the tourists, (us). The Joseph Chamber of Commerce web site calendar indicates some event (rod runs, bike runs, rodeos, etc) about every weekend.
A realtor noted winters are cold but don't bring much snow. There are no ski resorts in the area.
Steve

Here's a shot of the same lake... almost the same point of view.... taken Sept. 1 - from N5603F '66 Alon Aircoupe..... Sorry, but my 9A's only a tail, at this point! :)

You can see the runway at Joseph to the right....

Scott

126502086246e58c1dbd569.jpg

Back