What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who is the Tallest Pilot in a 6 / 6A?

Geico266

Well Known Member
I'm not talking about egos here fellas, I'm asking how tall you are and how did you tall guys (6'5" guys) set the seats and cushions to fly comfortable.

I'm 6'1" and have to use a 4 inches of foam to see comfortably.

Last edited:
It all depends on how your height is distributed. Some guys have long legs, and normal length torsos. Some have long torsos, and normal length legs. Just quoting a standing height doesn't really allow you to compare, as we don't fly these things in the standing position.

Take a look at this NASA document that defines a large number of anthropometric measurements. Look at Figure 3.3.1.3-1 (4 of 12) Anthropometric Dimensional Data for American Male. Dimension 758, sitting height, shows that the 5th percentile is 35.0 inches (i.e. 5% have a sitting height of less than 35.0 inches) and a 95% percentile sitting height of 39.2" (95% would have a sitting height of less than 39.2", or 5% would have a sitting height of greater than 39.2"). Note that this range (5% to 95%) only covers 90% of the population. 10% will have measurements outside this range.

The simplest set of relevant measurements are probably your standing height and sitting height (sit on a hard chair, and measure the distance from the seat surface to the top of your head). The difference between your standing height and sitting height is a measure of leg length.

The USAF has an online anthropometric measurement database. You can enter a range for a particular dimension, and see records of actual measurements of people in that range. For example, 6'1" = 1854 mm. I searched for males with standing heights between 1850 and 1860 mm. 16 records were found, and the sitting heights varied from 922 mm to 1003 mm, or a range of over 3 inches.

Not me at 5'6". but...

I've taken long legged 6'4" pax. I have an assortment of various thickness cushions. Probably a thin Oregon Aero cushion set would be most suitable for the very tall along with putting the rudders as far forward as possible. Possibly adding an additional rear seat back hinge about 1" back would be possible.

Tall and heavy

I just came back from a round trip Houston to OSH (one fuel stop). I am 6'4" and 205 lbs, my passenger was also 6'4" but at about 240 lbs. No problem. Confor foam seats help. It was tight but that is true with about any two people in a 6, 7, or 9. There is not a lot of elbow room with anyone IMO but you get there fast enough that it doesn't matter that much. We were at gross. I told him he could pack a toothbrush but no toothpaste. :)

Well, I just sold a 6A to a 6'5" 280 pound guy who fits just fine. May need to move a few things, but he had that RV grin for sure!

Back