What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing the Flap Hinge Pin?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Just want to hear your comments, Pro's Cons on the 2 methods Vans suggested for installing the Flap Hinge Pin.

1) Drill a small hole in the aileron hinge bracket (W-413) for the pin to go through...<snip>

OR

2) Remore one hine Eye at the center of the flap hinge..<snip>..insert 2 halve hinge pins and bend flat on inside side skin drill 2 small holes and safety them down.

I did a search but this has not yet been discussed.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards
Rudi

Flap hinge pins

If you go to the matronics list and search the archives I think you will find a lot of discussion on this. As I am some way behind you (working skins) I would be interested in what you decide :D

uk_figs said:
If you go to the matronics list and search the archives I think you will find a lot of discussion on this. As I am some way behind you (working skins) I would be interested in what you decide :D
"matronics list and search the archives" ??? where's that?

Flap Hinge Pin

We took three eyelets out of the center of the hinges, two on one half, one on the other. On one wing we drilled the aileron hinge bracket to stick the hinge pin through but decided in the end that taking the hinge pin out from the center of the flap made more sense and much easier.

Larry & Lolly

RV7A N200LL
Slowbuild
Finish Kit

Rudi,
I just went thru this on my QB-8. Initially I did the single pin deal. When I was rigging my flap/aileron/fairings I ended up having to use the two-pin method as I was having a heck of a time getting the pins in. Splitting them into two parts made it a lot easier for me.

Thanks guys,

it seems that splitting the hinge pin is the way to go!

Anyone got a picture of how they tied the safety wire then?

Kind Regards
Rudi

Back