What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Northern VA prop shop

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
I discovered a groove in my C/S prop that was worn by the spinner. We had a discussion and review of pictures with Hartzell and they recommend that we take it to a prop shop and not attempt field dressing it, but that it shouldn't need more extensive work to return to service. The prop is currently off the plane and at Shannon (EZF). I live in Springfield, VA. Anyone have recommendations (pro or con) on prop shops in the general area. You are welcome to respond off-line to "Hose--at--DrKarst.net".

Thanks, folks,

Louise:

See if you can find my write up on the site about flying my plane to Hartzell for repair. I had a wonderful experience taking it to Piqua for repair. They are a total class act at Hartzell.

Or course in your case you would have to ship the prop to them. Steve R., the manager of the customer service department is the kind of guy who really cares about us little guys.

My guess is you are looking at a door to door time of 2 weeks.

BTW, I had a similar small gouge in the prop from the spinner backplate that Hartzell feels is a problem with Van's drawings. They changed the max pitch on my prop to fix it.

I am based out of Virginia Beach and have flown into Shannon, Dogwood and Stafford more times than I can count.

Regards,

bruce
N297NW
RV-8

Also need a Forward Spinner bulkhead...

Bruce, I thought your write-up on Hartzell was excellent, and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to have Louise use them if the prop was on the airplane and flyable. We've talked with Hartzell, and they've seen pictures, and believe that the blade just needs to be dressed, but also that it shouldn't be flown before it is. Louise is trying to avoid the downtime and expense of shipping the prop off. She has a very kind offer from a local Rocket owner two cart it up to Sensenich in PA when he goes up there later int eh week, but that still means she'll have to drive up there to get it back. I figure that there MUST be a shop in the D.C. area that can dress out the groove properly without having to disassemble the thing!

Also - anyone have their spinner drawings handy? I think we need to replace the forward bulkhead, as it has considerable fretting, and probably was the cause of the spinner cut-out contacting the blade. Want to have one on hand to fabricate, but can't find my drawing to get a part number! Or, does anyone have a spare bulkhead their not going to be using?

Paul

reseal?

Louise,
I don't know your TT on the prop, but C/S props are suposed to be OH'd at 6 year intervals. Now, being experimental, you don't have to totally comply, but it might be a good time to have it inspected and "resealed".
Just a thought.

I will bring it Back

Hey Paul and Louise!
I will be happy to fly it back in my 8 if you like.
Just let me know! I am based out of S37 Smoketown which is just a stones throw from LNS
:D

KirkGrovesRV8 said:
Hey Paul and Louise!
I will be happy to fly it back in my 8 if you like.
Just let me know! I am based out of S37 Smoketown which is just a stones throw from LNS
:D

We might take you up on that option Kirk - thanks! (Louise is traveling this week, and said she may not have computer access, so I'm watching out for her...)

As to seals, the prop is far from overhaul (both hours and calender), and so long as it's not leaking and the prop shop doesn't insist, we sure don't want to tear it down!

I can take it up there...

Louise,

I'm only a quick hop from Shannon (at Warrenton) and can take it up there if I can drop it off on the weekend... This weekend is bad - I have honey-do's for my wife Melinda, whom you met at our recent fly-in. Sounds like you are away this week anyway, but next weekend is wide open for me if the Wx cooperates. Maybe I could drop it off and Kirk can bring it back.

e-mail is rbrooks at hthworldwide dot com or cell - 703-851-9513.

Sorry to hear about your prop. Sounds like you simply need more clearance on the spinner cut out to the blades.

Paul,

Parts for the CS spinner are on drawing C-4

S-602-1 (aft bulkhead)
S-602B (aft bulkhead doubler)
S-603 (forward bulkhead)
S-601-1 (spinner cone - fiberglass)
S-604 (Spacers - included with the Hartzell Prop to space aft bulkhead assembly)

The rivets for S-602-1 to S-602B are AN470AD4-5 (20 rivets) - inner

Then of course the obligatory K1000-08 nutplates (20) and AN426AD3-4 rivets - 1#.

Best,

Rob

Thanks for the part numbers Rob - from the photos Louise sent me, it looks like the forward bulkhead may be dished a little (rearward), and that may have contributed. Hartzell sent me a drawing I had never seen before - it is an engineering drawing showing the precise cut-out dimensions for a Van's spinner.....I wish I'd have that when I was cutting and fitting and cutting and fitting.....when I have some time, I'll try and post it.

Paul

Blade holes in spinner

Paul,

Wow - a dished out forward bulkhead is not good. :eek: Sounds like the little ears that we rivet on to cover up the hole left over from the missing spinner material (under the blade) were too long.

Part of the problem with the blade holes in the spinner is that you really need a couple of folks with strong arms to hold the prop and twist it in opposite directions of each other to see if it contacts or not. Lots of pre-load in that spring. I thought I had mine cut correctly with a good 1/8" clearance with the prop in max high pitch (low RPM) and then lo and behold after my second flight I noticed slight marks in the paint. Thankfully it didn't even rub past the primer. So, I drilled off the little ears and cut them down, rechecked and riveted them back on and all was OK.

But a dished out foward bulkhead sounds messy. Glad to hear that the prop wasn't damaged beyond some scoring.

Best,

Rob

Last edited:
Back