What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Homemade Bowden Cable Clamp

Harold Lanfear

Well Known Member
I didn't like the cost or bulk of the bowden cable clamps, so experimented a bit and found you can make a very nice clamp with a short piece of 3/8" x 24 threaded tubing and a 3/16" copper tubing sleeve for plumbing compression fittings from the aviation department at Lowes.

Put the compression sleeve on the Bowden cable and mve it where you where you want it on the threaded tube. Tighten the compression nut (you can use a brass plumbing unit or an AN-3 fitting without the sleeve if you want to save a little weight and make it look 'flightworthy'.

Basically, you are treating the Bowden cable just like a a piece of copper tubing that runs through the threaded tube. Put a nut on the back of the tube to mount the unit in a 3/8" hole and for a couple of bucks (vs. $12+), you've got a cable lock every bit as good as the ones you buy.

I also found that a 1/8" piece of hard plastic tubing can be used in place of the compression sleeve, which might be handy if you wanted to remove the sleeve later - or are just cheap :D

H

Gotta pix?

Hey Harold,

I've got a pretty good visualization - but if you've got a pix - as they say "...a thousand words!" (Maybe someone else doesn't have the same imagination :)

Jeff

Bowden panel clamp

Jeff,
I'm not too good at adding pics yet, but would be happy to send some if you send a private message with an e-mail address.

Back