What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Measuring Fiberglass Resin

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is commonly known, but this made my life much easier...

Easy, clean, no mess, no waste way to measure fiber glass resin. Drill a small hole in the cap and use a syringe. Tilt the bottle upside down and draw resin into syringe. Use and place back. The syringe stays in bottle top after use.

Most resins mixtures ratios are given by weight, but you can get the corresponding volume looking up the density on the spec sheet and converting. OR
Just take a set volume in each syringe mix by weight once as per normal, note the difference in volume and you got it for now and ever. I wrote mine on the bottle not to forget. Now you never have to weigh again, easy, clean, no mess, no clean up.

Regards,
Rudi

tips_08.jpg

Or...just use the West System epoxy kits with the pumps. One pump of resin per one pump of hardener. Very quick and easy. Not sure if the West System stuff is available in SA though.

Your syringe idea is great if you're using another kit! Very creative.

I have never seen the West stuff, I got hold of some good local stuff in South Africa. Well any case maybe someone might find the tip useful. I thought it was a neat trick when someone told me about it.

Regards
Rudi

Back