What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: pneumatic rivet squeezer is adjustable

Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
I have been struggling with my pneumatic rivet squeezer trying to get it to correctly set rivets. I read the instructions that came with it and the comments on this board and was still getting mixed results using washers to shim it. The instructions plainly say that the

Then, after having more poor results it finally occurred to me that maybe this tool adjusts like the hand squeezer I have - that the ram rod might turn up or down to set the height of the squeeze. Of course to see if this would work I would have to activate the squeezer and hold it open with the air connected - and adjusting this tool with the air connected is specifically listed as a safety no-no. Anyhow, I decided to try it and what do you know, it IS adjustable. I twisted it to the correct setting and now every rivet comes out just right.

I sure wish I had know this a year or two ago. The instructions say nothing about adjusting it this way - they only talk about using washers to set the depth of the stroke.

Nice tool once you learn to use it right...

--JCB

Most of them come with the fixed length set holder and shim washers. Normally the adjustable set holder is an option but well worth the high price!

Maybe you bought one with an adjustable set included.

I started with the standard one because I did not want to pay the high price for the upgrade but it only took me about 2 rivets to decide that the adjustable set holder was the way to go and I ordered one.

Best money I have spent so far on tools.

adjusters

i see that the pneumatic adjustable set is around 60 $ the one i use is the set that came with my avery squeezer (hand). has worked fine for 4 years and the only difference i see is the one specifically for pneumatic squeezers is a bit longer..

I have the original Avery hand squeezer and the set holder has a slot in it where the cam action takes place. This won't work in my pneumatic squeezer, it requires a flat area to contact the cam surface, so I had to buy the high dollar one.

shaped like a D

my avery set holder has a D shape on the face that contacts the cam/roller. i install it with the round portion facing fwd. may be different than yours. :confused:

Back