What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well, It's Not Oshkosh, but....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I headed over to David Wayne Hooks today to see if anyone would show up for the monthly Houston RV Builder's group meeting that Kevin announced. I had gone out toe the airport early, and flew a little before the morning moisture started forming the 500 foot scattered stuff, then landed and cleaned the hangar while that lifted to the usual 1200' - then it was time to fly up the DWH. I got there a little early, and waited well past 11:30 and didn't see anyone, so figured that Oshkosh had taken it's toll on attendance, and got ready to head out for a little acro.

Just as I was ready for engine start, I looked up and saw a five-ship coming on Rwy 17 - four RV's and a Cassutt! After watching a nice landing and taxi in, I realized I was about to meet "The Conroe Bunch"! I'd heard about the vast number of RV's at Conroe (on the north side of Houston) many times, but had never had the pleasure of meeting them - until today. Houston is a big metro area, and it's funny how those on the north and south sides don't seem to get the chance to mingle much. They had never heard of the Houston RV Builder's Group! (admitedly, nothgin more than an anarchy of folks buildign RV's that have a Yahoo Group and set up a monthly lunch rendezvous....) This was a great chance, however, to sit down and put some faces to names I had heard,and see some very nice airplanes. Today's group was mostly retired Continental pilots, and it was fun talking about trips they are planning to the Northwest and other destinations. Can't wait till I have a little more "open time" in my own schedule.

After a nice lunch, they headed north for more fun, and I headed out to practice multiple aileron rolls. I was going to work on multiple loops, but the sun was directly overhead, and I had forgotten my sunglasses, and the vertical part of the loops just hurt too much! It was a lot of fun, however, to meet a new group of RV'ers - it is always great to be reminded that there are multiple RV "communities" - some brought together by specific web sites, some brought together because of geography, and others by long-term friendships. Bringing the good groups together is something I find fun and fascinating - and I suppose Oshkosh is a great place for that to happen as well!

So while I probably won't make OSH, at least I got the chance to get a little taste and meet a new group of the "finest kind" - RV'ers all! I hope to run into them again - soon!

Paul

Of course I wasn't in the area to go hop with them. Go figure.... Paul, you up for the Aug 11 fly-in up here in Bryan??

I really wanted to make it, but the WX held off just long enough to finish my complex endorsment (No jokes about RV's not having retracts. :D)

We're taking an Arrow to OKlahoma next weekend, so I needed to get the endorsment before heading out.

Hopefully I'll get to meet a few people on the next go around.

Phil

Back