What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IK2000 RPM reading with LSE II

Wayne

Well Known Member
Just a heads up to any whom might be using the IK2000 for their RPM.

When I purchased my IK2000 I was told that I could use the Light Speed II ignition as a source for the tach thereby not having to purchase the separate tach sensor.

I was getting my prop balanced the other day when the mechanic said that our RPM readings didn?t agree. Yup, the IK2000 is reading 300-400 rpm LOW!

Contacted IK and they said they had been aware of problems with the IK/LSE combo and to chart the rpm differences and send back the data box for reprogramming.

to me, running your engine at 300-400 rpm higher than your tach is indicating as a safety concern and am very disappointed that IK didn?t notify its users when the problem was 1st discovered.

I am definitely not a happy camper!

I guess the morale of the story is to always check your indicated rpm against a calibrated system.

Wayne,
Unfortunately I had the same issue with my IK AIM2 monitor. At all throttle settings the tach was indicating low like yours. I mounted a round tach gage in the panel to get rpm from the mag and sent Ralph a comparison chart of monitor vs. gage. He then had me send back the processor for reprogramming. So now I have two tach indications - one for the LSE, the other for the mag. They are within 20 rpm of each other now. I use the gage for in flight power settings just because I like round dials.
All this took place this time last year.
Other than that issue, I am pleased with my IK monitor and would probably buy another.

Back