What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It starts like a car!

N941WR

Legacy Member
This past weekend we did the first engine runs on my RV-9. The O-290-D2 I have installed was last overhauled in 1959 and put in storage. After I bought I topped it and inspected the internals as much as I could w/o splitting the case. All was good. The carb was yellow tagged and installed and the accessory case was replaced so I could use an engine driven fuel pump and oil filter.

The ignition system of choice is a pair of P-mags w/ the latest software update.

On Saturday (7/7/07) we started that thing up for the first time. The engine fired on the third prop blade and ran like, well, like a Lycoming should.

Every subsequent start was just like the first, pump on, mags on, full rich, hit the starter and it runs.

It started so easily it surprised all of us.

Is this normal for all electronic aircraft ignitions?

Congratulation on the first start. I must be missing something, but all the carb engines I've started start like that unless I'm doing something wrong. The 172 I used to fly always started on the 2nd blade.

Paul Thomas said:
Congratulation on the first start. I must be missing something, but all the carb engines I've started start like that unless I'm doing something wrong. The 172 I used to fly always started on the 2nd blade.
Maybe I'm just used to hand starting my old T-Craft to remember.

Good job, Bill. The -D2 on my TriPacer always started on the 2nd-3rd blade. You'll really like the how economical and powerful it is. Theres a Kitfox builder here at OGD who replaced his O-235 with an O-290-D2. He's loving it.

aft canopy skirts (aptly numbered 666),
Steve

Yes.

N941WR said:
snip...It started so easily it surprised all of us. Is this normal for all electronic aircraft ignitions?
Yes. I have a LASAR system and it ALWAYS starts on the third blade when cold (five seconds boost pump / two pushes throttle (carb) ).

b,
d

Quick Start

Hi Bill,

You'll find the starts with the Pmag system are very quick. Mine usually kicks immediately. When I have another pilot in the plane it usually scares them because they are used to seeing the prop turn a few times.

rvator9a said:
Wat to go Bill, did you have your wings on when you started it???
Bob,

I had everything on and connected but the fairings for the engine start.

The TW 9's are so light in the tail that I would be afraid to run it without the wings and tail on and all the control surfaces connected.

Scroll the to the bottom of this page for pictures.

Yes, it really was one week to the day from moving it to the airport to the first engine start. Right now I'm working on debugging some of the system. Minor stuff really. This afternoon I had the transponder-pitot system check and now have that in my log book. Saturday we do the W&B.

Back