What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are Van's altimeters Falcon?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Are Van's altimeters (e.g. IF BG-3B) Falcons? Just curious, because ACS has the Falcon altimeters for $229. Van's charges $249 but doesn't list the manufacturer. Is there any difference?

Thanks.

Yes, but do your self a favor and get a tso'd altimeter. I went through two of Van's in a little over a year. Both failed in the same manner. Indicated altitude setting on the ground gradually increased over a several day span to in excess of 10k feet. You will pay more up front, but will have a much more reliable altimeter.

Same results as 9driver! 1st one lasted about 6 months and already adjusted the 2nd one twice! I fly VFR only and my GPS has always been good so I am just living with it for now. I will go TSO for the next one!

Thanks for the replies. Re: the quality of the Falcon altimeter, there was a pretty good thread on it in the past, with some indicating really good experiences and some bad experiences. My use for it is merely as a backup to my Dynon, so I would likely have plenty of opportunity to check its relative accuracy before the day that I actually need it to be accurate.

Back