What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Simple audio panel

justinmg

In the next few months we will be updating out 9a panel.

We have a simple 2 place intercom by PS engineering. We probably need something a little more advanced so we can feed in an Aux audio from the EFIS. In the future we may go for a second radio. We will not use an ADF but may get NAV on a 2nd radio for ILS / VOR.

Can anyone suggest basic audio panels for a)single radios and b)double radios.

One lesson that I learned the hard way. If you get an audio panel, make sure you get one with an internal amplifier. That way, you can plug your iPod into the aux input and actually hear it.

THere's a way to connect multiple audio inputs into your intercom without the need for an audio panel. You can feed each input into the audio in pin as long as you wire a 560 OHM, 1/2 Watt resistor in line with each input line.

Check out this wiring diagram. Wiring Diagram

I found that I had to install a stereo into my panel for the smaller ps engineering type audio systems. That Ipod needs an amp. One thing I like, is sometimes I like to listen to the radio in areas that I'm flying into, I find the radio needs NO entenna up at altitude and will pick up 20 miles out. I like the fact that I can increase the level of the stereo to where I like it. Just make sure the stereo has an external jack for AUX input.

Thanks,
The wiring diagram is for an intercom unit with a specially designed music input, not a standard intercom.

PMA4000

The PMA4000 can handle two coms, two navs, four unswitched inputs, and has a built in intercom.

Mark

justinmg said:
In the next few months we will be updating out 9a panel.

We have a simple 2 place intercom by PS engineering. We probably need something a little more advanced so we can feed in an Aux audio from the EFIS. In the future we may go for a second radio. We will not use an ADF but may get NAV on a 2nd radio for ILS / VOR.

Can anyone suggest basic audio panels for a)single radios and b)double radios.

Very happy with our PS3000. Plenty of volume for the iPod using the music input. We have a switch just above the input so the music can be totally muted quickly.

multiple audio inputs

Doug
I also have the PS3000 in my Pacer and have the 496 audio and XM into the music input which works fine, the soft mute function also works from this input so I wondered why you wired in a switch?
For the RV I am planning the same intercom but with the Dynon EFIS/EMS audio inputs ganged a la f1 Rockets diagram and balancing the audio inputs per the Dynon variable resistor drawing.
I did find a unit called Mix-It for motorcycles that allows four audio inputs to be mixed into one headset jack output that would also work. It is about $100 www.mixitproducts.com

uk_figs said:
Doug
I also have the PS3000 in my Pacer and have the 496 audio and XM into the music input which works fine, the soft mute function also works from this input so I wondered why you wired in a switch?
Our CT came from the factory that way. I actually really like it - I can isolate the music for just as long as I want. We have the XM tied into the soft mute function of the intercom.

Back