What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPSMAP 296 display brightness

vlittle

Well Known Member
Since new, I've been struggling with the brightness of my GPSMap 296. I did add an aftermarket anti-glare screen to help cut the reflections from my shirt in flight, but the display still gets washed out to the point of illegibility.

My Dynon D10A in contrast is extremely legible in all lighting conditions.

What's the user experience out there with the GPSMaps?

Vern

If you turn off terrain shading the display is much clearer.
It's not brighter, but much more readable.

Mel, that might do it. The terrain warning still works properly in this mode.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Vern

496 is brighter

I have a 296 also (currently at GRMN for repair, not screen related :mad: )... I recently had the chance to compare it side by side to a new 496 and I was amazed by how much brighter the 496 was. I don't know if the difference is between different displays, of if the backlight of my 296 has faded with age.

Always been impressed with mine. The direct sun is changes the appearance but does not was out the screen. Reflections on the shiny screen lens is another issue though, this drives me crazy.

IowaRV9Dreamer said:
I have a 296 also (currently at GRMN for repair, not screen related :mad: )... I recently had the chance to compare it side by side to a new 496 and I was amazed by how much brighter the 496 was. I don't know if the difference is between different displays, of if the backlight of my 296 has faded with age.

It is my understanding that the backlights in these things are LED's so fade should not be the issue.

I almost never run my 296 at full brightness because I have never had a reason to, plenty bright.

Last edited:
Brantel said:
Always been impressed with mine. The direct sun is changes the appearance but does not was out the screen. Reflections on the shiny screen lens is another issue though, this drives me crazy.

I added a anti-reflective film to help cut the glare, and turning off terrain should be a help, as will wearing a black shirt when I'm flying. Nevertheless, my conclusion is that the display is not adequate for reliable aviation use. Perhaps a gimbal mount would have been better than a panel mount.

The RVs let a lot of light into the cockpit compared to other aircraft I've used the GPS in. Nevertheless, if I do it again, I would avoid the Garmin portable GPS and look at something brighter.

This is not a slam on Garmin, but an observation on the limitations of a portable unit adopted for panel mounting.

Back