What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for RV-6A

Here RV6A here RV6A

If this is your first aircraft purchase or you are not familiar with experimental aircraft or RV's get someone who is to do the pre-purchase.
The usual places to look:
Trade-a-plane: http://www.trade-a-plane.com/index.shtml
Branstormers: http://www.barnstormers.com/
All the RV forums and list: Matronics, Yahoo groups

To be honest good RV's at a fair price sells fast and often with out being advertised widely, usually by word of mouth. If they don't sell fast there is something less desirable about it or asking too much. The current trend is $100K plus RV's, but than they are loaded with avionics, custom paint and new engine and prop, so they are a bargain I guess. Those prices make my eyes water. I remember when RV's were going for $30K. There where two partial finished RV's with engines installed and really quite close to completion on this sites classified which were in the mid $30's. I thought those were very good deals. If you want a bargain consider a RV-4. If your heart is set on a RV-6/7A it will take some time and effort, especially if you want exact specs like canopy, prop or engine HP. RV- 7 are going to be more. They do have one advantage, all pre-punch. THis could be important if you ever need to repair it.

Check Van's web site for info on buying a used RV. There are things to look for. Remember this is not a factory built plane. They don't call them amateur built aircraft for nothing. However the workmanship and quality can exceed anything from Kansas, but there are some horror stories. Our EAA chapter president bought a used RV-4. He was out doing aerobatics. Later that day he was trying to hand prop it for some reason. The airplanes throttle was set too high and it rolled away from him and stopped when one wing hit a tree damaging one wing tank. He lived on a private airfield. When he removed the gas tank to repair the damage he found the rear spar bolts were not installed!!!! Rare to have something this bad, but it happens. Buyers beware. Also if you have no RV time get some training. I am have built 1-1/2 RVs (working on my 2nd RV now, a RV-7). I am also an ATP with a CFI rating and almost 1000 hours in RV's. Send me a note if I can help.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Slight Clarification on RV-6s

Not all RV-6/RV-6A kits were prepunched. Mine was not. Also there are differences between the airplanes, most notably, the vertical stabilizer and rudder. Earlier models like mine are quite a bit smaller and they have no aerodynamic balance "horn" at the top.

Bob Axsom

Back