What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixed pitch for IO-360

goflynRV7

Right now I'm flying behind a IO-360 with a fixed prop on a C-172SP and really like the combination. I'm not concerned with short field or formation flying. Keeping it simple and the cost down is where I'm at. The home base elevation right now is 6000' and the 172 does well and the RV7 will be even better.

I've been looking around and have not yet seen a fixed pitched prop for the IO-360 engine on a RV7. Is the Sensenich prop only used for the 0-360?

Perhaps I'll need to rethink my engine options. Working on the RV7A fuselage at the moment and looking to get the FWF/finish kit ordered one of these days.

ditto Catto

My 8A has a carbureted O-360 with single LSE electronic ignition turning a 3-bladed Catto prop. Simple, light, low maintenance, less expensive, good "curb appeal", and smoooooth.

Response from Vans

I stand corrected it appears. :cool:

This is the reponse from Ken Scott at Vans:

"There is no reason the M1B and A1A engines can't use the same
prop. Then engine that CAN'T use the Sensenich prop is the 200
hp IO-360."

I also sent a email to Craig over at Catto Props. I'll look at that option more as well. I like the looks of the three blade prop from what I see on their website.

Thanks!

Catto Prop

Hi Steve

I have a Catto 3 Blade on my IO-360-A3B6D 200hp and I love it. Now, I only have 16.6 hours so far, but I get lots of performance and it is silky smooth.

Cheers

Just out of curiosity for you guys with Catto 3-blade props:

Since any fixed pitch prop, including the Catto, is typically pitched for best cruise speeds, what kind of climb rates are you getting (and with what engine) using the 3-blade Catto?

Highflight
RV7-A

Last edited:
180 or 200 HP?

Steve,

There is an important question here.... what HP are you planning on?

The C172SP is 180 HP, and there are some models of the IO-360 out there that are also 180 HP, parallel valve, that the Sensenich prop may be suitable for.

However, when you say IO-360, most everyone assumes your talking about the 200 HP version with angle valves, which won't be suitable for the Sensenich!

Too many choices.........

Dave

Catto Prop Performance

Just made a short cross country flight today in a friend's -6A with a three blade Catto on a -320 160 HP.
At 5500', 2550 rpm, she was truing out at 170 +- MPH. It was pretty cool this morning, 25 degrees F, and the tanks were about 1/2 to 2/3 full, 200# pilot. She climbed out at about 1800 FPM! Usually with two folks on board, we see close to 1000 FPM.
As others have said, these props are smooth as glass!!
Bill Waters

180 Hp

Dave,

Yeah I am considering the IO-360 with 180HP. I got a couple contacts from Craig over at Catto Props for people that are using his prop on this engine. Have yet to contact them but am proceeding with the FWF and other decisions that I need to make now that I know more about my options.

Thanks.

Climb rates with a Catto

Howdy all,

I've got a 200HP IO-360 and a 3 blade Catto prop. As I've said before, it is smooottthhhh ;-) The best sustained climb rate I've seen is about 2200 fpm, although I did get 2500 for a minute or so once before I hit the floor of some terminal space and had to level out. This 2200 fpm is with 1064 lb empty weight, 3/4 fuel, and a 300lb plus pilot (don't ask ;-) Outside temperature was in the 30 deg F range.

Back