What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sheilded wire for headphone jacks

Do I need to use individual sheilded wires for the headphones or is it ok to use the 2-3 conductor sheilded cable. The instructions just specify sheilded wire.

I would use 3 conductor shielded for the headphone and for the mic jacks. Headphone wiring is Left, Right and Lo, Mic is Audio, Key and Lo. You should note that many audio panels do not want the jack grounded to the airframe so you need fiber washers between the jack and the airframe. Lo in this case is not grounded at the jack end. Also, the shield is grounded ONLY at the audio panel end.

I'm not familiar with the Lo you refer to. The model I'm getting is the Flightcom 403. I've been looking at the instructions online and they are very specific about grounding, mainly with regards to the mic jack. Thanks for your input.

Baseball Dad said:
Do I need to use individual sheilded wires for the headphones or is it ok to use the 2-3 conductor sheilded cable. The instructions just specify sheilded wire.

Yes and Yes.

If stereo flightcom then triple twisted shielded wire for everything (mic is three conductor and headset is three conductor as Paul pointed out). If mono, then triple for the mic jacks and double for the headset.

Cheers,
Stein.

Back