What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with elevator fitting

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello all,

I just mounted the elevators on the HS and would appreciate some feedback on proper fit. With the rod-ends set to the plans-specified minimum distance, the elevators contact the HS skin just as they reach the maximum allowed up-travel (30 degrees, according to the plans).

I can't find anything in the plans that calls for a minimum distance between the elevator and HS skins at maximum elevator travel. Seems like there should be, so am I missing something? Is this the interference that Van's mentions in the instructions for fit-checking the elevators?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

It's ok to trim back the HS skins to achieve the proper clearance. We had to do this on all the skins on the earlier slooooooooow build kits.
Mel...DAR

There is a diameter dimension for the rolled LE on the elevators. Make sure you are close to these dimensions. You can massage the LE's a little to get the dimensions correct even after they are all riveted. The only trimming of the HS skins needed is where the Counter Balances hit.

Roberta

When mounting the elevators, the trick is to get them so that the tip fits good around the horizontal stab. Move the bearings in and out until you get a good even fit and they work smooth. If you built the elevator tips square to the spar, this will help ensure that your elevators are square to the horizontal stab spar, which is important to get good, smooth elevator movement in the center bearing of the stab. The last step is to just trim the skin of the horizontal stab so it doesn't touch the elevators through the full range of motion. I've seen folks totally goof up their elevator movement just to avoid trimming the skin. To me, that's bass-ackwards. Some folks get luckly and don't need to trim at all. I had to trim both my RV-6 and my Rocket.

Back