What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying the RV-3 with the canopy open?

I think I saw a picture very recently of a -3 that was literally built as an open cockpit....just a windshield, and no canopy. So...I guess that it at least doesn't rip the pilot's head off!;)

Beautiful!

Wow! I think it's beautiful. The real kicker is the $4800 price he has invested!
What year was this anyway?

Pierre

Pierre,
Gene Wilkie, a good friend of mine, completed his RV-3 earlier this year. I believe he purchased the partially built plane many years ago for a song and when time permitted overhauled an engine which he scavenged. Much of the avionics and instruments were scavenged from dead or dying airplanes he found around the islands. **You should see his hangars he must have enough parts to build four or five airplanes!**

Gene is an expert A&P mechanic who helped mentor me with the final building steps with my RV-6A at HNL, is also local Fed-Ex pilot, and a previous whirly-bird driver. Thanks to his ingenious and well-proven packing method my -6 survived the high seas, rail and truck transport from Honolulu to Los Lunas (south of ABQ), New Mexico without a scratch this summer.

His plane flies beautifully with the open cockpit. The wind doesn't seem to affect him as he sits low enough in the cockpit for the blast to go over top his head. It's a simple bird that suits his personality and his budget. I think it is one of the most clever modifications one can do to an RV and still do 130 knots. Ask him to translate the nose art if you can't read it!

Greg Grigson
Now in New Mexico--wings and tail back on, second first flight expected next week!

RV3

What a great looking airplane! I love that retro look. Follow the lines from the cowl to the wind screen, then over the turtle deck. Very sharp looking! :)

Back