What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerial Location

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi,

We are up to electrics now and will soon be deciding on aerial location.

We have a GNS430, a King Com, both through a 340 audio panel which enables TX from either side. Also we have to locate a GPS aerial and a transponder aerial for the Mode S transponder................

RV7, tip up, all suggestions gratefully received :D

I mounted my comm antenna just forward of center spar on pilot side.. to avoid having to push the coax through the spar... aft two bolts go through the spar flange. it's in that area that's covered by a small panel, so it won't even be visible inside..

this setup has been proven to work on many RVs, so I didn't bother to reinvent the wheel.

transponder antenna is forward right of the airplane near the firewall (diagonally across from the comm antenna)..

Bob Archer

Mike,
We have a Bob Archer nav antenna in the left wingtip and a marker beacon antenna in the right wingtip (just a piece of coax with the shielding removed..34" long) and taped down in several places with fiberglass and resin. Only the Comm is under the belly under the baggage area in the center tunnel, accessible from inside. The XPdr is near the firewall since you need 4' or so from the comm antenna. We tried to save drag and have a clean airplane without a lot of protrusions.

Regards,
Pierre

Back