What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

King transponders

kboyd59

Could someone explane to me the differance between the king KT-76 and the King KT-76A. Thanks for any info.

the KT76 is an older transponder with a completely different sized tray. The KT78A is a newer model which as been around for about 13 years or so. Both use a tube in the output. There are more discreet components in the KT76 than the 76A. Both operate the same but are old.

Good info, old tubes OK?

Thanks Norman, good info. I'd add kboyd59, if you're buying used, you can get good deals on tube transponder. Tubes can last decades. Tubes die from both use and age, but they can be long lived. If buying a used unit, if you can get a quick bench test and determine if its on freq, sensitive to interrogation and power output is acceptable. You can't do that on eBay, but I have had good luck w/ transponders I bought.

If you have to buy a new output tube the unit is not worth buying. The cost of a new tube is more than half the price installed than a new transponder. Stay away from the AT50 transponder. Lots of them out there cheap. They never were really any good. AT50A weren't much better.

k76A

Anyone know the molex number of the edge connector for the K76A, or what type pin extractor...
Ron
9A

Back