What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Horizon 1 contol of TruTrak autopilot - question

dwilson

Well Known Member
I need some input on an issue with my autopilot.

Setup:
Garmin GNC 300XL programed with a flight plan.
Dual GRT Horizon 1 set up so that "GPS 1" is the external 300SL
TruTrak ADI Pilot II set up to receive commands from the Horizon 1
Horizon 1 set so Nav mode is GPS1
Lateral stearing set to Nav mode.

Auto pilot will fly me to IAF of my GPS approach, but in order to fly to the next fix I must reach up and adjust the selected course on the R knob to match the course the GPS says is the next desired track.

I thought the GRT would automatically command the TruTrak to turn to the new desired track.

What am I missing???
Thanks,

Duane

87 hours in my RV9A since March!!!!

Question

This may be a dumb question, but in this situation, have you selected an appoach so that the 300 knows it is flying the whole approach?

Related question for de-bugging purposes. Will it follow a flight plan, say from one waypoint to another?

yes and I think so

hevansrv7a said:
This may be a dumb question, but in this situation, have you selected an appoach so that the 300 knows it is flying the whole approach?

-- Yes, the whole approach is listed on the 300.

Related question for de-bugging purposes. Will it follow a flight plan, say from one waypoint to another?

-- I will get back to you on this one. Need to go out and fly it to make sure.

hevansrv7a said:
Did you "arm the approach" on the GRT?

There is no ILS or LOC on this approach. If I read the manual correctly, I cannot arm the approach without one of those present and tuned.

Just a couple of quick thoughts (remember that I have a 430, not a 300, so might not be the same):

1) if you have a switch so the autopilot can feed directly from the GPS or the EFIS, try both positions, and see what happens.

2) I never "arm the approach" in the EFIS (unless I am using the Synthetic approach), and it seems to follow guidance from the GPS just fine.

Paul

Back