What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Approach Systems Inc.?

I can't speak to the company, but the idea seems easy enough. Everything in a car is wired with harnesses and we (generally) don't have problems with those. However, I can see one down side in that if there is a problem, it won't be as easy as hooking up a multi-meter and figuring out where the problem is because none of the wires will be exposed. We'd have to just guess if the problem is the hardware or harness and then still be kinda in the dark. $.02

I saw that earlier and it seems like a time saver, but I have a "philosophical" problem with the idea that you'll end up doubling the number of plugs in the system.
Of course, you have to have plugs somewhere, but a plug is a place where contacts can sometime become "momentary" contacts and I'm not sure I like the idea of having more plug-in locations than I absolutely need.

For a car or boat, no problem because any electrical problem just means you pull over or start paddling. In an airplane, you're just up a creek...

Vern
RV7-A QB

Approach Systems

I put the hub system in the -8 I'm finishing up. Of course, only time will tell how it holds up under flight conditions, but I really liked the installation. Everything is very professionally done, and marked extremely well. It also integrates all of your equipment, IE: GPS, AP, Transponder, Encoder, EFIS, audio systems, intercoms, everything! I think this system is as close to fool proof as you could come! And, in the future, if I decide to change my Garmin -250XL for a -430, all I do is buy a new harness to change the wiring over. If you want to do your avionics yourself, and minimize the chances of problems, or worst, ruining a $10,000.00 radio, I think the system is definitely worth a look.
"Barefoot" Billy Waters

I have installed it in my RV-7 Flying I also found that it was more money at first look but after i looked at all my options i found that it was a very cost effective set up

I flew my plane for 43 hours with basic radios i then decided to install a 300xl(didn't have enough $$ for the 430) and audio panel and a glide slope reciever for my kx-125 with the MD-41 switch and a 209A the only way that i could get an avionics shop to pre wire of some of this was to send all my existing avionics and the new stuff to them you know that i would have been down for 2-3 weeks Not an option in my book also if you buy new avionics from most of the well known Co. it has to be prewired or the approach system has to be used or they will not send it to you

the install was very simple it took me much longer to mod the panel for the new avionics its plug and play Also if and when i change anything it's plug and play aswell

Hokking up the auto pilot is simple there is a port for it

the quality of the products and the labeling is perfect

Ken Richard RV-7 N383KC Maine

Does the system allow for customization? For example, I think the Garmin audio panel allows for different mute options based on whether connector pins are wired high or low.

Back