What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doug's Backwards Video

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Ok, that is a good example of thinking outside the box. Who would have thought that video of where you WERE would be interesting.

I like it, and surprisingly I think I liked the landing best; you can really appreciate the trees.

I am also interested in Paul's forward looking tiedown mount camera. You guys have quite a competition going on.

Oh, and have Danny work on the formation rolls a little, it will look really neat if he can stay in the frame.

n5lp said:
Ok, that is a good example of thinking outside the box. Who would have thought that video of where you WERE would be interesting. I like it, and surprisingly I think I liked the landing best; you can really appreciate the trees. I am also interested in Paul's forward looking tiedown mount camera. You guys have quite a competition going on. Oh, and have Danny work on the formation rolls a little, it will look really neat if he can stay in the frame.
LOL! Believe me, it ain't Danny <g>. Flash doesn't have an inverted oil system like the Doll so I had to do a modified aileron roll. When we started doing barrell rolls later on we got much closer to keeping in the frame. Keeping the plane under constant G makes it a lot easier on Danny to stay centered in frame. Learn by doing, huh?

Don't those trees look HUGE in the video. Much easier to deal with when you're looking forward :D. Great fun and a learning experience.

Paul and me....
NASA vs The Baylor Business School
(I don't like my odds <g>).

b,
dr

Last edited:
DeltaRomeo said:
Paul and me....
NASA vs The Baylor Business School
(I don't like my odds <g>).

b,
dr

Yeah, but first, you've got a much higher res camera, and second, you've got Danny!!! ;)

Outstanding video - incredibly creative....I just kept waiting for Danny to take a shot - I figure his guns must have been jammed.... :p

I got mine aimed right this afternoon for forward flight, but you certainly win the prize today!

Paul

Last edited:
That must be what it looks like to fly one of those canard airplanes?

Great video DR!

Forward Looking Wing Mounted....

OK, this is no competition whatsoever for Doug and Danny's video....but since folks asked, you can look here.

I'm hoping for one of those days with puffy cumulus to get something really nice - it kind of falls flat without a foreground!

BTW, at the bottom of the loop near the middle of the video, you can see that the ground looks like it has the measles. That is Smith Point, on the east side of Galveston Bay, and those are artillery craters. Back in WW II, Dickinson, Texas was an artillery training base, and they fired across the bay....or at least that is what I was told by my late great uncle, who trained there.....

Paul

Hah!

Thats pretty cool!

I wonder if the wide angle lens might help keep the Doll in frame?

The Doll could also do a horizontal roll...I.e make use of the invert system to stay in frame while Flash flys straight and level.

Pretty neat!

Frank

The sponge padding.......

Doug,
That looks like it might have been one of the yoga instructors dishwashing sponges... Watch out, she'll get you for stealing her stuff! :D

Not a sponge, but...

RVAddict said:
Doug,
That looks like it might have been one of the yoga instructors dishwashing sponges... Watch out, she'll get you for stealing her stuff! :D
I have a sack of headset foam sample material that Oregon Aero gave me about five years ago to hand out to people interested. The left overs (about a hundred) have been resting on a hangar shelf for years - saw them yesterday and thought "Hmmmmm, that'll do."

Lipstick Cam

Aww, what the heck....here's another approach.

These are links to three shorts, all shot with a lipstick camera. Two mount the camera to the side of a helmet and the third is a backwards shot taped to the nose.

The air to air stuff of my friend Dennis Millsap was done using a small black dot applied to the helmet faceshield in front of my left eye. It is an aiming dot, prealigned with the center of the camera frame. Doesn't matter where I point the airplane as long as I move my head to keep the dot on the subject. With a little practice you learn to track smoothly.

I have 4 different lenses for the camera, narrow to wide angle. Depends on what you want to do.

Photo plane is a DR532 Drifter. Pretty much eliminates canopy issues <g>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V3e0NSjvDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLCaTAm_FT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy971Lfcd5M

Questions

Way cool videos.

1) How do you keep you head still enough?...I would have expected to see a very jerky image using a helmet cam but yours is remarkably stable.

2) How on earth did you keep up with an RV6 in that thing?..:)

I loved the acro!

Frank

<<How do you keep you head still enough?>>

Concentrate on keeping the dot on the subject (which isn't jerky) and the rest takes care of itself.

<<How on earth did you keep up with an RV6 in that thing?>>

A DR532 has extremely clipped wings. It will run about 90 mph max in level flight, so formation is possible if the RV guy pulls the throttle back enough.

Last edited:
Great vids

Great stuff!!! I've had to give up building for a month or so in order to concentrate 100% on my other passion. Watching these movies keeps the fire burning to get back pounding rivets as soon as I can.
Keep em coming.

Come on Doug and Paul....how do you expect me to get to work on the plane when all I do is set at the computer waiting for the next installment of video wars!!!!!

Frank @ sgu RV7A "NDY" engine, instruments, FWF stuff in the mail.....wait a knock at the door....Van's FWF is here and Mags from eMagair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES

Ironflight said:
OK, this is no competition whatsoever for Doug and Danny's video....but since folks asked, you can look here....
Looks like this method has good potential. It also looks like your airplane has dihedral.

I can't figure out those horizontal stripes. They don't seem to be at any particular time, like high G.

n5lp said:
Looks like this method has good potential. It also looks like your airplane has dihedral.

I can't figure out those horizontal stripes. They don't seem to be at any particular time, like high G.

Nah, not dihedral....woudl you believe a low tire on one side? No? Would you believe that I have to "roll" the camera in the bracket to turn it on before I hop in, and I didn't get it level afterward? At least I got it closer on the second take-off, after the fuel stop....

The horizontal stripes appeared to be when I was pointed close to the sun - both times at the top of a loop..... you'll also notice a little jumpiness to the video at times - I think that the wedge I used to aim it had a little too much flexibility (to many layers of Velcro), and it made it shake. All to be fixed on the next trip!

(I might bring it along to Carlsbad tomorrow, and if the weather is good, do a little Guad flying, to see how it looks!)

I really like the one with Danny King in trail. Doug, can you get your whole gang lined up back there?

DanH said:
snip...Doug, can you get your whole gang lined up back there?
Absoluletly. No barrell rolls, though ;).

I'll see if I can't get a 4-ship to participate.

b,
d

Back