What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

50' Lightweight Air Hose @ Costco for $12

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
Just sharing a good deal...
I came across 50' of lightweight Air Hose at Costco today for $12 and change. This is very similar to the lightweight hoses some of the tool companies sell, just longer and cheaper.

070506_001.jpg

Great Brad, another trip to Costco. Last time I went my wife needed two bags of gummi bears for her kindergarten class - total cost $175...

LOL! There I go again Jim, costing you more $. In the long run, it might just be cheaper for you to pay me to keep my mouth shut. ;) :D

My wife and I have said for years that there is a $100.00 minimum purchase requirement to exit Costco. Why do you think they are checking receipts at the door?! ;)

"Hey there buddy - you're about $12.27 short. If you check isle number 14 you'll find a 50-pack of toilet paper that should just cover it. Now get back in there and SHOP" :eek:

Brad,

I see the hose is polyurethane. I used some plastic hoses (blue plastic, don't know if they were poly or what) for awhile but switched to rubber ones from Harbor Freight because the plastic hoses wouldn't lie flat. Had a mind of their own, whereas the rubber hoses are limp and are less of a tripping hazard. Do these lie flat?

RScott said:
Do these lie flat?

No. I have one of the same "brand" (but paid double and still thought it a deal)

It still has a mind of it's own, just like all the other poly hoses... the advantage of these is that they are lightweight and won't mar surfaces like a rubber hose can.

edit: razor blades are the death of these things. I would imagine a sharp edge of an aluminum sheet might have the same effect. Keep it away from slicing/puncturing objects.

They do have GREAT crush resistance though, I accidentally hit one with a hammer when it was pulled into the way of the bolt I was beating on. The hammer bounced off (quite nearly hitting me) and the hose was unscathed. I was afraid the rough edge of the bolt or the concrete pebbles around it would hurt it but 1.5yrs on it's still fine.

Last edited:
I also found that

the cheapo poly hoses would leak after a while at the fittings.

Rubber hoses from HF were much better, I got the "goodyear" ones which were hardly anymore expensive and have been very reliable.

Frank

frankh said:
the cheapo poly hoses would leak after a while at the fittings.

Rubber hoses from HF were much better, I got the "goodyear" ones which were hardly anymore expensive and have been very reliable.

Frank

This is also a good point. We only have our hoses charged for a couple hours a day on the jobsite, I use goodyear hoses in the shop at home and have left them charged for months with no apparent problems.

Stiff hoses

RScott said:
Brad,

I see the hose is polyurethane. I used some plastic hoses (blue plastic, don't know if they were poly or what) for awhile but switched to rubber ones from Harbor Freight because the plastic hoses wouldn't lie flat. Had a mind of their own, whereas the rubber hoses are limp and are less of a tripping hazard. Do these lie flat?
I bought an low price hose plastic base hose once and ended up giving it to my dad. In the cold of the winter here in CO the hose was so stiff it was unusable but was fine for dad in east TX. I to like the rubber hoses as they stay supple even in the cold

RScott said:
Brad,

I don't know about this particular hose yet, but the two lightweight hoses I got from one of our favorite tool suppliers appear to be made from the same material (poly with reinforcing braid), lie flat in all conditions, and have given me two years of great service without any issues. I doubt this hose is as high quality as the others, but for $12+, I don't care. I prefer to leave the heavy rubber hose on the floor and use a lightweight hose to connect the heavy hose to the tool(s). Ironically, since I already have two lightweight hoses, I probably won't even use this hose, but I have a tool buying problem. ;)

BTW, don't confuse the lightweight poly hoses with those crappy slinky-like plastic coil hoses! I hate those things.

Last edited:
Back