What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spruce 4x Gun/Riveting Question

GTechRV

So I'm riveting the understructure of the HStab with the Spruce 4X (my first shooting/bucking ever) and have been pleased so far with the results at around 75 psi. Does anyone else have/use this gun and know if there is an optimal pressure?

PS..

Also, a very newbie riveting question... as I move onto the skins, is there anything special that needs to be done riveting the flush rivets besides using the flush head and bucking bar? I'm just afraid if I take my flush set to the skin, I'm going to end up with dented skins. I'll try and post pictures of my [slow] progress soon. Great fun.

Ryan

I have no idea of the pressure settings for a 4X gun. I have a 2X.

The 3-3.5 rivets require very little effort to rivet. With the 2X gun, I use 35 psig. with very good results. You don't want it so high that controlling the gun is difficult at all. You don't want it so low such that you work harden the rivet. ~.5-1 seconds of action. just my humble opinion. YMMV.

The 470-4 rivets will require more pressure. with the 2X, I use 45 psig. When using an ofset, I have used as high as 65 psig. again, this is with a 2X. From what I have read, you can do a whole RV-7,8,9 with a 2X since the big rivets in the spar are done at the factory. Since I am almost done with the riveting, I agree.

GTechRV said:
So I'm riveting the understructure of the HStab with the Spruce 4X (my first shooting/bucking ever) and have been pleased so far with the results at around 75 psi. Does anyone else have/use this gun and know if there is an optimal pressure?

PS..

Also, a very newbie riveting question... as I move onto the skins, is there anything special that needs to be done riveting the flush rivets besides using the flush head and bucking bar? I'm just afraid if I take my flush set to the skin, I'm going to end up with dented skins. I'll try and post pictures of my [slow] progress soon. Great fun.

Ryan

Hi Ryan.

I started with a 4x gun (using lower pressures IIRC, but I also used a regulator at the gun) and built my entire empennage with it. Much later in the project, I bought a used 2x gun (from the yardstore.com) and realized I should have bought it from the beginning.

It is easier to shoot the #4 rivets with the 4x gun, but you have more control with the smaller gun on skin rivets.

As far as the flush skin rivets are concerned, tape every rivet first, and back rivet everywhere you can--this practically guarantess perfect rivets.

Back