What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

home powder coating tip

erich weaver

Well Known Member
Picked up this tip regarding a relatively cheap home powder coating system from Eric Jones on the AeroElectric List forum - he raved about it. Might be a good alternative to rattle canning the various interior parts.

Check out the video link on the site for the demo

http://tinyurl.com/ybc9my

erich weaver

that's just the beginning of the costs

Don't forget the other equipment needed, or at leat nice to have, when powder coating.

Media blasting equipment, Oven (the wife wouldn't be too happy to come home to parts baking in the kitchen oven, besides the fumes will drive you out the house), masks and ventilation equipment, and of course more colors!

Toaster ovens can be used for small parts. Used electric stoves for larger parts.

A friend of mine built his own oven from a huge steel box that was used to inflate 747 tires in.

Prime first...

Bob Collins said:
Also, I understand power coating is not a particularly effective anti-corrosion method. True?

Bob... my engine mount was powder coating in Los Angeles by a painter that did aerospace stuff as well as auto stuff.

He primed it with Mil-Spec 23377 epoxy primer first, and then powder coated... said that was fairly standard for 4130 type steels.

He says that doesn't take him too much longer since his oven cures the primer quickly. His oven looked like a single car garage with open flames coming from a long row of burners low down on each side... a few light effects and it could have passed for the Gates to Hades.... :D

gil in Tucson

Back