What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Support for GRT EFIS Enhancement?

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I have been trying to get GRT to enhance the EFIS display to show climb/descent precisely. Currently, in the 1500-2000 fpm range, you only see 500 fpm tick marks. I'd like to see a digital display of this. They are thinking about it, but I think if they saw some demand they'd just do it. For phase one, especially, this would really help a lot, wouldn't it? Please indicate in your reply if you are a current or prospective customer. Thanks.

I agree.....
That will be one of my questions when I go to order my efis. I never could understand why they skimped on that feature. It would keep me from adding a vsi...

PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMER

Warren

grt

I have finally settled on a GRT sport as the EFIS I will be putting in my 8A. I was unaware of issue with VSI information. I agree that it is a significant issue and I hope that GRT will correct what seems to be a deficiency in that regard.

Prospective customer.

GRT VSI

I wasn't aware of that either.

I also consider that a deficiency and would like to see better resolution.

GRT EFIS Enhancement

I agree with this thinking. I have not liked the VSI from the first flight.

I added a mechanical VSI to overcome this problem.

David R

GRT EFIS

We have 35.9 hours on our new RV7a with three GRT screens. In my opinion, the vertical speed as displayed currently is just fine. Your proposed enhancement would not hurt anything, BUT in my opinion GRT needs to focus their development resources on improving the XM weather to display the rest of the info we are playing for, and to develop the IFR support capability that they have talked about for a year now.

Tom Lewis
RV7a N967BT

I've never noticed this (the VSI) to be a deficiency in the system, but I wouldn't have any objection to making a digital (or other) VSI indication a selectable option. One of the great things about the GRT EFIS is how configurable it is - I have rarely seen two pilots with exactly the same display set-up, and that is fine - set it up the way YOU want it. I don't know that I'd find a higher-resolution VSI useful in day-to-day flying, so I probably wouldn't want the extra "clutter", but I could see bringing it up for specific reasons - so make it a menu selectable option, and everyone gets what they want.

Paul

A digital VSI readout would be a nice, easy upgrade IMHO.

What I was thinking of adding to the system the other day was a 'marker' when you are recording log files. This would be useful when doing flight testing so you know where to look in the file for the right information. Sort of like a stop & start marker. That way you can focus in on that particular portion of the flight. Maybe just a button that you hit when you are ready to start and stop a test point.

I also made another list of hopeful software upgrades for them but can't find that right now.

At SnF, they told me it was $600 per screen to upgrade to the hi-res. I got on the list just in case I want to go for it when the time comes. As usual they didnt take any money... only when they ship.

Scott Will said:
What I was thinking of adding to the system the other day was a 'marker' when you are recording log files. This would be useful when doing flight testing so you know where to look in the file for the right information. Sort of like a stop & start marker. That way you can focus in on that particular portion of the flight. Maybe just a button that you hit when you are ready to start and stop a test point.

A marker would be neat Scott! What I did when I was flight testing was to "fly in" a marker - a quick, sharp roll doublet usually - which showed up really well when reducing data. Since I was also using my flight testing program as a teaching opportunity for some aero engineering students, I needed something in the data they could use use when they were looking at the post-flight data files, and this was easy. A flag of some sort would be easier.

Back when Lucky set up the GRT Yahoo group, he started a "wish list" file for people to make suggestions for things they'd like to see added to future software versions, and I know that GRT has used that list for upgrade ideas. The list is in the "files" section, and I haven't seen it mentioned for some time - maybe it needs to be dusted off for things like this.

Paul

Back